• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why would the transitions be applied differently?

Participant ,
Dec 23, 2020 Dec 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As you can see, the transitions applied via the cntl+D shortcut is not applied properly to any clips that I may have entered in the timeline during editing. The main clips were entered via new sequence from clip. But their are a few shorter clips that were added in editing. I just need to know what I may be doing wrong that doesn't allow for these clips to have a transition along with all the other clips?

kellyy99042662_0-1608742488316.png

TOPICS
Editing , Effects and Titles

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Dec 23, 2020 Dec 23, 2020

you probably don't have any "handles" on the clips that have the transition starting at the edit point.  You need sufficient material after the outgoing clip and before the incoming clip.  Here's an easy way (I think) to see the problem. remove the transition that's not correct and move the incoming clip to the next higher track.  Then try and extend the end of the outgoing clip and the beginning of the incoming clip by 1/2 the transition amount so they overlap by the length of the transition. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Dec 23, 2020 Dec 23, 2020

For some reason my pic never loaded in the other comment I made, but probably not necessary (fixed in edit).

You can definitely apply a default transition to multiple clips in the timeline at once. I can't say that the behavior will be the same as Vegas but that will just be an adjustment you need to make (I was a bit frustrated when I moved from Final Cut Pro to Premiere back in the day because there was a slight difference, but I got used to it.)

I made a gif showing multiple ways to select

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also shouldn't that dissolve transition be applied to the audio clips as well? Or is that a separate process?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Audio transitions are a separate process.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

but if you have both audio and video transitions selected and control click and choose "apply default transitions," transitions are applied to both audio and video.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, but unsure what or where I would control click on. I don't see an option for "apply default transitions" in the dropdown menus that I've seen. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@kellyy99042662 Right click an edit point

ApplyDefaultTransition.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So we're back to applying transitions between two clips and not the whole timeline?  One of the big features that I learned to love about Vegas was that I could apply a default video and audio transition to all clips on the timeline with one click of the mouse. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For some reason my pic never loaded in the other comment I made, but probably not necessary (fixed in edit).

You can definitely apply a default transition to multiple clips in the timeline at once. I can't say that the behavior will be the same as Vegas but that will just be an adjustment you need to make (I was a bit frustrated when I moved from Final Cut Pro to Premiere back in the day because there was a slight difference, but I got used to it.)

I made a gif showing multiple ways to select and add transitions, including multiple transitions (hopefully this loads.)

ApplyingMultipleTransitions.gif

1. Select all the clips you want to add transitions to and click the *shortcut. 

2. Hold Ctrl and drag a marquee over the clips you want to add a transition to to select their edges. Apply the desired default *transition. (The right click method I mentioned in my earlier comment would work in this situation, but honestly, learn the shortcuts and you'll never need to do that.)

3. To add a transition without a selection, place the playhead/CTI over the edge you wan tto add it to and apply the desired *transition. (Note that this will only work on tracks that have track targeting turned on.)

* Transition Shortcuts:

Shift + D for video/audio

Ctrl + D for video only

Ctrl + Shift + D for audio only.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank You soooooo much. I was trying to add the audio transitions by pressing Ctrl+D and wondering why the video was only getting transitions. Thanks for the clarification!!! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you probably don't have any "handles" on the clips that have the transition starting at the edit point.  You need sufficient material after the outgoing clip and before the incoming clip.  Here's an easy way (I think) to see the problem. remove the transition that's not correct and move the incoming clip to the next higher track.  Then try and extend the end of the outgoing clip and the beginning of the incoming clip by 1/2 the transition amount so they overlap by the length of the transition.  This will show you whether you have sufficient "handles."  Some editing software will allow you to do this by shortening the problem clips but no professional editing software will do that (take that amateurs...).  If this is not clear, post back and I'll try and explain it in more details.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Obviously a two second clip is not long enough, but since the clip is at the end of it's limit on both ends, how do I extend that short clip? 

kellyy99042662_0-1608751763604.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your working with a Pr novice here. Sorry!!   I've just worked with Vegas before and that did it automatically. (Amateurs.......shhhs) lol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could slow it down or add a freeze to the beginning or end. Sometimes
if you freeze in the middle of the transition its not too noticeable.
Requires nesting or achieving the transition by key framing opacity on a
clip on a higher video track

Otherwise find a different shot...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sitting on the ny subway so can't really go in to more detail. But post
back if you need more help and I'll post back tonight

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any idea how long a clip needs to be in order for the handles to be available? Or is it just trial and error stuff?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your help!! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For a 30 frame dissolve centered on transition, you'll need 15 extra frames
on each shot. Make sense?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there anyway that you know of to get handles on clips that don't have handles? I have one clip that is 9 seconds long and only has a handle on the front of the clip. I also have a clip that is 45 seconds long and only has a handle at the end of the clip. A little confusing to me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have this happening. The clip that I added (a .mp4) takes the transitions just fine, but the clip that is before and after have handles missing. The clips are at least 7-8 seconds in length. 

kellyy99042662_0-1608768014965.png

And when I delete the middle .mp4 clip, I can add transitions to the remaining clips that I couldn't before. 

Thoughts?

kellyy99042662_1-1608768124622.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mrgrenadier described it pretty well in text, but here are a couple of pictures to illustrate what he said about "handles."

When you create a crossfade (or any other transition) between two clips, this is the actual amount of media that you're using from each one. You are just seeing it in the form of the transition bar.

TransitionEx1.png

If the clips do not have media that can be extended (handles) then you cannot apply the transition.

TransitionEx2.png

This is how you would add a "handle" to a clip that doesn't have one; by trimming media from the beginning or end of the clip. The amount that you remove is the amount that you can create a transition with:

TransitionEx3.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

instead of adding dissolves, checkerboard your timeline and add to both outgoing and incoming shots so the overlap equals the duration of your desired dissolve.   Hopefully the attached screengrabs will help you understand this...checkerboard.pngadd a dissolve to checkerboard.pngnormal dissolve.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines