Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Widescreen Footage on external 16:9 monitor always shows up distorted

New Here ,
Feb 26, 2021 Feb 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

can't image that I'm the only one with this question but still could not find any posts regarding this issue.

I'm using Premiere for years now and until totay could not find any solution for the following problem:

Working with widescreen footage (RED,...) and editing it into a 16:9 sequence the video is correctly displayed on my external 16:9-reference monitor connected via Black Magic Ultra Studio Express.

But when opened in the Viewer window, the widescreen clip is always displayed distorted on the external display,

ALLTHOUGH Scale-Down-option within Premiere is activated in Preferences/Playback/Blackmagic Design Setup.

Avid offers the option, to add letterboxes to widesreen clips so that they are displayed correctly on an external 16:9 screen.

Any ideas? Thanks a lot!

Christoph

TOPICS
Editing , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 17, 2021 Mar 17, 2021

Hi Pat/Christoph:

Here's an approach that's worked for me in the past:

1. Create a 1:78 Sequence for your 2:35 source footage that conforms to a frame size supported your Blackmagic hardware.  Name the Sequence something like projectname_year-month-day_000 (I use "000" to indicate that the Sequence is for viewing rather than assembly).  For example, "cosmos_2021-03-17_000".
  2. Add all of your 2:35 source footage to this 1:78 Sequence and scale it to fit the width.
  3. Create a second 1:78 Sequence for

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advisor ,
Mar 15, 2021 Mar 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

there's something wrong with this forum cause I get messages way later than BEFORE I reply to what I see when I read the forum... another words, the continuity of messages ( posts) is totally screwed up.

Anyway, Andy, just so you know.. I grew up in film biz and despite criticism today I will love you with all my heart tomorrow !  See you on the red carpet !

🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,
Mar 18, 2021 Mar 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Salvo34,

This forum should list who the responses are for automaticaly. It would make things less confusing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Mar 15, 2021 Mar 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Warren, thanks for breath of fresh air, but I wish people wouldn't bury messages into sub sections... and just add to the end of the thread. But who cares...I'm outta here as my head will explode soon.

The poster died and will never come back and doesn't know how to uncheck scale down in BM control and nobody knows what the heck is going on here... so I'm gonna walk the dog in the snow...and wish you all luck.

hehe,..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 17, 2021 Mar 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Pat/Christoph:

Here's an approach that's worked for me in the past:

1. Create a 1:78 Sequence for your 2:35 source footage that conforms to a frame size supported your Blackmagic hardware.  Name the Sequence something like projectname_year-month-day_000 (I use "000" to indicate that the Sequence is for viewing rather than assembly).  For example, "cosmos_2021-03-17_000".
  2. Add all of your 2:35 source footage to this 1:78 Sequence and scale it to fit the width.
  3. Create a second 1:78 Sequence for your assmembly.   Name it projectname_year-month-day_001 for version one of your edit.  For example, "cosmos_2021-03-17_001".
  4. Open Sequence "cosmos_2021-03-17_000" in the Source Monitor (right-click and choose Open in Source Monitor or drag and drop from the Project tab to the Source tab).
  5. Open Sequence "cosmos_2021-03-17_001" in the Timeline (doule-click or right-click and choose Open in Timeline).
  6. In the Timeline, set the "Insert or overwrite sequence as nests or individual clips" button to individual clips (it should be light gray instead of blue).
  7. Place In Marks and Out Marks in your Source Monitor as you might normaly and then use Insert or Overwrite to add the souce footage in the 000 Sequence to the 001 Seequence (it won't next as long as "individual clips" is set).  You can still use Up Arrow and Down Arrow in the Source Monitor to jump to Previous Edit or Next Edit to find the Media Start and Media End of your source clips in your 000 Sequence.

It's not ideal, but it works to keep your 2:35 footage letterboxed on the reference monitor connected to your Blackmagic hardware.  If you use Match Frame (f) from the 001 Sequence, you'll bring up the source clip in the Source Monitor and you'll have to swtich back to having the 000 Sequence in the Source Monitor at some point.

When you lock picture, let's say Sequence "cosmos_2021-10-12_127", you can go to the Sequence Settings and change it from your 16:9 frame size to your 2:35 frame size for finishing. maybe nesting the 2:35 127 Sequence into another 16:9 Sequence for viewing on the Blackmagic hardware as you color correct or do other finishing tasks, maybe called "cosmos_2021-10-12_127_for_BM".

I hope this makes sense.

-Warren

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 07, 2022 Oct 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have an Ultrastudio monitor and can confirm that adobe premiere/black magic cannot send a simple 16:9 scale of 3840 x 2160 down to 1920 x 1080 to a Flanders Scientific CM170 broadcast monitor. This is a simple half resolution down scaling. Either Premiere or Black Magic changes it to a 2K output (which the FSI reads and displays) but it is stretched out 2k is 2048 x 1080. When I go to the BM video setup and change the output to 1920 x 1080, no matter what flavor, it always reverts to 2K after playing back from Premiere Pro. BM UltraStudio appears to be doing whatever Premiere tells it and the FSI reports the same thing. Someone at Adobe likes 2k over regular 1080 and they just left it in there as the default display for Transmit. PITA.  I wonder if it's the same person who decided to make the proxy presets 2k as well. You're just driving us over to Resolve, Adobe. This is only happening on downscaling with the BM box. Regular 1080 looks fine. Can't just give us a half scaled image?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines