• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Will 14.3 open a project created in the new 14.3.1?

Engaged ,
Jul 21, 2020 Jul 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will 14.3 open a project created in the new 14.3.1? 

TOPICS
Editing

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jul 23, 2020 Jul 23, 2020

BNC,
I got an answer for you, and it's a good one. You can safely update, create a new project, and your colleagues can read it in 14.3. In fact, you can move all the way back to 14.x for compatibility.

The team has made a public commitment to maintain backward compatibility further than ever. All .1, .2, and .3 versions, etc. will be able to be opened in the .0 branch. The only time an editor will have to be concerned is when the team moves to a new .0 version. So, you'll be OK for backward co

Votes

Translate

Translate
Engaged ,
Jul 23, 2020 Jul 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I guess my question has been deemed "not worthy of an answer"?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Generally, a project created in an older version can be opened in the newer version. But a project created in a newer version cannot be opened in the olde version.

That being said, I recommend finishing any current projects in the "old" version of Premiere before upgrading. If you're itching to upgrade now, you can always install the new version alongside the old version. Be sure to backup any project files first.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Jeff.

Yes, I know the general guidleines on project versions, but was seeking an answer on this specifically. I've been waiting for another department to move up to 14.3, and when they finally did, 14.3.1 came out.

So I'd like to upgrade to 14.3.1, but if it breaks my compatibility with them I'm going to have to uninstall/roll back and I'd prefer not to. Just thought someone from Adobe could tell me 'yes' or 'no.'

I appreciate the response though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apologies BNC. This is chiefly a user to user forum. A post here is neither a support ticket nor a guaranteed "answer" from staff, a not too uncommon misunderstanding, so it's OK. I do my best to answer quick or difficult questions, if I have time. I also volunteer here in my time off.

If you wish to conduct a direct conversation with the product team, please put your request here: https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro Sorry, it is impossible for me to answer every single query that comes through these forums. I'm only one person. I do have help from a couple of my colleagues who help out overnight.

My guess is that you should be able to move back and forth between a major version and its "point release." It's been that way in the past. That said, things change. I don't want to guarantee anything as to put you in a bind.

So, I don't know the answer to your question offhand, sorry. I would need to ask engineering since I cannot immediately test. As you might guess, I don't have access to the test lab in my home office. Therefore, please give me a little time to research your question. I will try and find out for you.

Sorry for the issue. Please send me a PM if I don't get you an answer shortly.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BNC,
I got an answer for you, and it's a good one. You can safely update, create a new project, and your colleagues can read it in 14.3. In fact, you can move all the way back to 14.x for compatibility.

The team has made a public commitment to maintain backward compatibility further than ever. All .1, .2, and .3 versions, etc. will be able to be opened in the .0 branch. The only time an editor will have to be concerned is when the team moves to a new .0 version. So, you'll be OK for backward compatibility until the next .0 version, whenever that might be. Thanks to the engineering staff for clarifying this for us.

Regards,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you, Kevin. I appreciate your help. That's what I thought, and didn't mean to cause a problem trying to get a definitive answer.

Yes, that's a good note from engineering. Might be a good bullet point in the release notes until it becomes general knowledge. (i.e. Projects created with this version are compatible with any version above ##.0.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines