• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Will Premiere run smooth if editing directly off an internal SSD?

Engaged ,
Feb 05, 2021 Feb 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Back in the old days when we all had hard drives to work with, my understanding is that video needed to be edited off an external drive to prevent lag and other issues. However, with new computers and SSD internal drives, are the SSD drives internally fast enough to edit directly from without lag? I plan to purchase a new laptop and deskstop and will edit lots of short clips, however, not huge projects, and am curious if Premiere will run smoothly while editing 1080 and some 4k clips directly on the same internal SSD that the OS and application is installed on.

Thanks

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It ... might ... sort of.

It's still better to have discrete discs for certain processes. Not only has the media gotten bigger and more complex, the apps are more complex now also.

So having say OS/programs on one drive, cache files on another, and projects/media on a third is still better for most use. All, note, on fast internal SSD/Nvme storage.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neil's right but...  also depends on the codec of your source material.  and you can use a proxy workflow to ease the strain on your system.  I work on a variety of machines including a decent windows machine, a brand new custom windows machine, a 2009 mac pro and a 2012 macbookpro.  If I'm on the road, and I don't have extensive media or complex effects, etc. , I will often edit off my startup drive on the macbookpro without any issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Feb 08, 2021 Feb 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a codec that videos is better for playing back in the Timeline of Premiere? What can I convert clips to if needed?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that's a complicated question.   try working with proxies with prores proxy and see how it works.  the great thing about a proxy work flow is that when you export, it always goes back to the camera original (which may take much longer than you want).  You can also transcode to a format like prores 422 which will be much larger files but put much less strain on the cpu and graphics card.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the past (1998 or 2008) you never needed to edit of an extrnal drive. You could.

Editing of the internal SSD will work just fine provided it is large enough for you video files. Some people will use an external SATA RAID but you can also use an internal SATA RAID. SATA RAID systems offer the best bang for the buck. If you want to to see the power of a RAID system I have provided a link.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My computer is...

Intel i9-10900k CPU in ASUS-Prime-Z490-P motherboard with 64Gig TEAMGROUP-3200MHz ram
Seagate-FireCuda 500Gig M.2 for Windows and programs and usual Documents files
500Gig SSD for temporary and output files, 1T SSD for video and picture input files
MSI GeForce GTX 1650 128 Bit Graphics 4Gig GDDR6 ram video card
When I was buying components I wanted an RTX2060 with 6Gig to be sure of smooth
timeline playback... I had to buy a GTX1650 with 4Gig because nobody had the 2060
in stock... My 4k test didn't have any timeline 'glitches' so I didn't need the 2060
Especially since I normally edit 1280x720 30fps video from a Canon SX510 camera

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Personally - on a laptop (Mac) - as long as it has a fast Nvme/M.2 internal drive ... and it's big enough, I edit everything off the internal. I'm getting read/write speeds of around 2500Mbps.

Desktop - it's worth splitting over the 3 drives as Neil suggests, though it *is* possible to edit from the internal if its fast or one fast external Raid.

Remember, you can always add more drives if you start to have issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Feb 16, 2021 Feb 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The video below might help demonstrate how Premiere Pro works will M.2 SSD, RAIDS etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines