Windows 10 Home or Pro?

Advocate ,
Nov 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now that I'm being 'voluntarily forced' to upgrade to Windows 10, I was wondering if there were any reasons to go with Windows 10 Pro over the Home version as there was back with Windows 7.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Windows 10 Home or Pro?

Advocate ,
Nov 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now that I'm being 'voluntarily forced' to upgrade to Windows 10, I was wondering if there were any reasons to go with Windows 10 Pro over the Home version as there was back with Windows 7.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Nov 18, 2017 0
LEGEND ,
Nov 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 18, 2017 0
Advocate ,
Nov 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 18, 2017 0
LEGEND ,
Nov 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For those who are not technically adept, here are the most significant differences with regards to the use of Premiere Pro:

1) Windows 10 Home supports a maximum of 128 GB of RAM; Windows 10 Pro, 512 GB.

2) Windows 10 Home supports a maximum of one CPU. (Multi-core CPUs count as one CPU for the purposes of Microsoft.) Windows 10 Pro supports one or two CPUs.

3) Windows 10 Home does not permit you to even postpone, let alone cancel, the automatic download and installation of critical Windows updates although you can postpone the mandatory restarts for them. Windows 10 Pro permits you to postpone the automatic update downloads and installs until you've finished whatever critical task you have to perform. Neither version of Windows 10 permits you to completely cancel the updates and update installs.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 18, 2017 0
Advocate ,
Nov 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, remembering that Windows 7 Home had much more stringent physical RAM restrictions than Pro was what made me ask the question. I had already seen the current comparisons of RAM access capabilities, and it certainly won't affect me to go with Home and my paltry 16GB with a single(sniff) processor.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 18, 2017 0
New Here ,
Dec 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The standard version of Windows 10 is actually Windows 10 Home edition, and it's aimed at home users. Windows 10 Pro is just like like an extension to Home in terms of size, features and price. Both can work across desktops , laptops, and tablets, and both of them come with Cortana- the virtual assistant, Edge Browser, Touch Compatibilty with options to switch to tablet layout (Continuum), Virtual Desktop and support for Windows Store apps. Here are the features that are only available in the Pro version: Domain Join, Group Policy Management, Bitlocker, Enterprise Mode Internet Explorer (EMIE), Assigned Access 8.1, Remote Desktop, Client Hyper-V, and Direct Access.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 06, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
Dec 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To update my 2017 post:

Since the 1803 version (Spring 2018), Home now allows postponement of the downloading of updates. Pro always had this capability.

And Windows 10 Pro does not have a 512 GB RAM limit. It's actually 2 TB (although hardly any current desktops or workstations can actually accommodate that much system RAM due to the availability of compatible DIMMs).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 07, 2020 0