Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Windows drop clips in exported sequence

Explorer ,
Nov 11, 2020 Nov 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

First time poster here, so be gentle please. I'm using Premiere Pro 14.5.0, Build 51.

I'm putting together a video for my chorus with 70 singers. This causes my newish 16" 32GB MacBook Pro running 10.15.7 to overheat and do a thermal shutdown (internal Radeon 5500 gets to about 80°C). Every. Single. Time. Interestingly, FCPro does not cause this to happen, but I strongly dislike FCPro (or should I say iMovie Plus).

So instead of editing with the laptop on a block of ice, I've moved over to my Windows 10 desktop. Also 32GB, Radeon RX580 card (this PC was once a Hackintosh which is why it has a Radeon card).

I've started exporting smaller numbers of clips in a sequence to intermediate ProRes files, then layering those to build up a full sequence, on the theory that this is less work for the CPU/GPU. This approach seems to work.

Everything is fine on Windows EXCEPT that when I export a specific sequence (that has only 11 singers), one of the tracks doesn't show up until about 1 second after it should. It looks fine when I preview the sequence, it's only when it's exported that it has this problem. If I export the same sequence on Mac (before the Mac crashes), then the exported file is good.

I should mention that I'm not using audio on any of these tracks; the audio has been mixed down already and will be laid in after all the video edits are done (the videos are of people lip syncing).

Is there some way I can troubleshoot this and make the Windows setup not have this bug? Is this a rendering issue with my graphics card? I'm pretty much a Premiere newbie, so not sure where to turn.

Thanks in advance for suggestions. Please don't tell me to reinstall Premiere or my OS; those kinds of suggestions are almost always time-wasting canards.

TOPICS
Error or problem , Export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First thing I'd suggest is dumping the cache/cache media database files, relaunch Premiere, and see if it behaves better.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Neil, for the quick and very plausible suggestion. Unfortunately, deleting caches (and spinning around counterclockwise three times) had no effect on this particular problem.

What DID finally work for me was to run the offending clip through compressor and tweak the output settings a bit, then reinsert it into its sequence in Premiere. Now, rendering this sequence to ProRes works fine.

I'm not sure I understand why this works (if I can see it in the Program Monitor view, I ought to be able to see it in an export, no?) but I'm happy it did.

Thanks again for your prompt reply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sometimes there's something in a file header the Premiere doesn't quite like, and so re-encoding the file is the solution. Seems to have been so here.

As always, just glad you're working again!

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines