• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Wondering if anyone can help me out with this - External Hard Drive & New PC issues

New Here ,
Jan 03, 2021 Jan 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just built a new PC with all new hardware, fresh install of windows etc. I've got a Premier Pro Project as well as all of the video files/audio files/proxies (the whole lot) stored on an external drive as I always work from external drives for my creative work. For some reason Premier Pro on my new PC (literally built today) is really struggling to open the project stored on my external SSD. I need to get back into this project as I'm creating for a client. I can access all the files through file explorer but Premier is just having issues getting into the project. Any ideas?

TOPICS
Editing , Error or problem , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've read here in forum ( over the years ) that sometimes you can start a new project ( same specs as old project ) and then 'import' the old project and it works out OK. Might try that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any ideas?

Maybe too late now if you have saved anything, but what you really want is to give that external drive the same drive letter as it had on the earlier computer. IOW, if you plugged in the external disk to your old computer and it became F:\ it will help a ton if you give that external drive the drive letter F:\ in the new computer as well, using the Disc Manager.

For example, if the external drive had the letter F:\ when attached to the old computer but now gets H:\ it will indeed take Premiere Pro some time to open the project, and you will get a lot of questions to find the locate the files. If the same external drive would be F:\ in the new computer you should get only one question, sometimes even zero questions and the project/s open up fast.

Without knowing any more details than "...is really struggling to open the project stored on my external SSD." it is hard to help since struggling can be many things.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 04, 2021 Jan 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your help, 

I think that this was the issue. I had a backup of the project on another external drive named (F:) which was also (F:) on my last PC and this opened up no issues. Unfortunately it seems like my SANDISK Extreme Pro which was my (E:) drive appears to be buggered now, I think the files have corrupted on it. Do you think formatting this drive would fix this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you think formatting this drive would fix this?

Formatting the disc will delete all data. I would therefore avoid formatting and start with Sandisks own tool to find and hopefully fix errors. In each box there is a paper with details such as "Where to download", etc. Or, just replace it and use the backup files to get everything back on track fast.

I would never use a Sandisk Extreme Pro SD card as a scratch disk. I have seen to much issues during the years with SD cards that fails. They have a much higher fail ratio compared to a standard HDD or SSD.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I've mislead you, its a SANDISK Extreme Pro Portable SSD, not an SD card as a scratch disk. Is there a Sandisk tool I can download to hopefully fix errors for this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a Sandisk tool I can download to hopefully fix errors for this?

O.k, i got it! 🙂

Try this built in Windows tool:

How to use CHKDSK (Check Disk) to repair a hard drive

How To Scan & Fix Hard Drives With CHKDSK In Windows 10

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

What is the connection between the drive and computer?

I have six internal SSDs and four external, two of the external on USB-C and the others on USB-B ports. While the USB-C is a lot faster from those drives than the B port, it still is nowhere near as fast to work with as the internal drives.

So if I've something stored on the external, I normally copy to the internal with other media for the project, use that within Premiere.

And yes, with decently sized projects, if you're using an external and having the cache and/or preview files stored by the originals, you're creating one slow project ...

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines