Highlighted

Workflow and organizaton - Subclips - Duplicate - Freeform View

New Here ,
Sep 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'd like to share with you something that I found very annoying in the user experience and editing process that could probably be improved.

It's not a proper technical issue, but more something about how you deal with a lot of footage, and the using of the FREEFORM View in the bin panels.

Maybe you could share with me some tips or workaround to work the way I'd like to within Premiere.

So here's how I'd like to work :

Importing all my footage (which is in a single dedicated folder on my drive) on a bin called "00_FOOTAGE"
Dragging all the footage within ONE timeline, in order to play along everything, and starting to isolate nice clips.
Taking all the little clips that I have selected, dragging directly from the timeline to a new bin called " 01_SELECT" (this is where my problem is)
In a perfect world, I could now use the FREEFORM View of the bin, and have a perfect plain view of every little clip that I have already selected, and start the editing

The thing that I don't like is that when I drag all the little clips that I have selected in a new bin, Premiere Pro create DUPLICATES of my media. Which mean that for the software, the media that I have in "00_FOOTAGE" and "01_SELECT" are not the same, though they are. The perfect exemple to understand this is with the match frame. Premiere Pro does not link me to the original media file when I make a match frame in a clip I have selected, but redirect me to the media (re)imported to "01_SELECT". That is very annoying, especially if you work on big projects, when you have to deal with proxies, relink, versionning, and others media-organization and workflows related things.

I can't work directly in the "00_FOOTAGE" with the FREEFORM View because there is too many useless medias in this footage (all bad takes and everything..) ; It's a too big piece of cake to start with.

It could be easily fixed by just creating SUBCLIPS when dragging footage from the timeline to a bin. Meaning that the little selected clips that are in my "01_SELECT" bin are just a "mirror" of the original media, and that for the software, this piece of media is the SAME that the one in "00_FOOTAGE".

How is that not an option ?

I hope I have been clear, and that I can make me understood.

Thank you.

TOPICS
Editing, How to, User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Workflow and organizaton - Subclips - Duplicate - Freeform View

New Here ,
Sep 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'd like to share with you something that I found very annoying in the user experience and editing process that could probably be improved.

It's not a proper technical issue, but more something about how you deal with a lot of footage, and the using of the FREEFORM View in the bin panels.

Maybe you could share with me some tips or workaround to work the way I'd like to within Premiere.

So here's how I'd like to work :

Importing all my footage (which is in a single dedicated folder on my drive) on a bin called "00_FOOTAGE"
Dragging all the footage within ONE timeline, in order to play along everything, and starting to isolate nice clips.
Taking all the little clips that I have selected, dragging directly from the timeline to a new bin called " 01_SELECT" (this is where my problem is)
In a perfect world, I could now use the FREEFORM View of the bin, and have a perfect plain view of every little clip that I have already selected, and start the editing

The thing that I don't like is that when I drag all the little clips that I have selected in a new bin, Premiere Pro create DUPLICATES of my media. Which mean that for the software, the media that I have in "00_FOOTAGE" and "01_SELECT" are not the same, though they are. The perfect exemple to understand this is with the match frame. Premiere Pro does not link me to the original media file when I make a match frame in a clip I have selected, but redirect me to the media (re)imported to "01_SELECT". That is very annoying, especially if you work on big projects, when you have to deal with proxies, relink, versionning, and others media-organization and workflows related things.

I can't work directly in the "00_FOOTAGE" with the FREEFORM View because there is too many useless medias in this footage (all bad takes and everything..) ; It's a too big piece of cake to start with.

It could be easily fixed by just creating SUBCLIPS when dragging footage from the timeline to a bin. Meaning that the little selected clips that are in my "01_SELECT" bin are just a "mirror" of the original media, and that for the software, this piece of media is the SAME that the one in "00_FOOTAGE".

How is that not an option ?

I hope I have been clear, and that I can make me understood.

Thank you.

TOPICS
Editing, How to, User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Sep 12, 2020 0
Advocate ,
Sep 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

let's say I got camera A, B, C... for a scene (slated shots ). I put sc. 51 on a timeline using V4 for cam A, v6 for cam B, and v8 for cam C.

Now I scrub through the stuff ( I know the script ) and choose the good stuff and get rid of the slate (basically make a hard cut between 'action' and 'cut' from director ).. and make a hard cut for that portion of clip... Now I raise (copy paste) up one video level (exactly above ) so I know what I selected. Now I can scrub through all the junk or just the selected stuff for each camera.

I also put a copy of the selected thing down on v2 ( this will be part of my final roughcut ).

Now I can scrub through my roughcut, junk, and selected for all cameras and takes.

I'm leaving out the sound sync stuff cause at this point it's irrelevant... cause that was done already.

The point is, I keep track of what's up on the timeline, not in the bins.

For some projects you can use smart bins to segregate location shots from 'interview' shots.. and basic stuff like that, but that's kinda different than drama stuff. More like documentary.

This subject is so much dependent on your own choices it boils down to what works best for you for that particular project .. it's kinda impossible to get into it without making it a classroom or tutor type thing.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 12, 2020 0
Advocate ,
Sep 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

.The good thing about making the hard cuts is that you don't have handles anymore.... so you can't accidentally expand the clip and mess up timing of whole thing ... this is the sample of 3 cameras on process trailer for sc. 16 of prime suspect pilot ... and the first time I used my own method for drama stuff.

The biggest pain is the scrolling and turning levels on and off and zooming in on timeline etc... it is tedious and if I had to do it for a living I would throw myself off the Brooklyn Bridge.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 12, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are working larger projects, long-form or episodic especially ... I do not understand why you would not be working in the Productions mode. Which would negate all the troubles you lay out. It's a very different process. Within a Production, Premiere uses the folder structure setup on-disc as well as multiple project files to break up the massive metadata that a typical single-project "stand-alone" project as you're currently using creates.

It avoids duplicate MasterClip references, cuts the amount of meta loaded into RAM/cache files at any one moment dramatically, and is the method that should be used by anyone with larger projects, or long-form/episodic workflows.

It is also an improvement for those of us working solo shops. I run my entire year of work in a Production, using the folder structure to organize clients, media, and all assets.

Neil

Premiere Pro Productions Introduction

Using Productions in Premiere Pro

Productions Workflow for Long Form & Episodic PDF

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 12, 2020 0