Highlighted

Working remotely: sending bins

New Here ,
Aug 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a long time Avid user but I recently started a project in Premiere, which I'm loving.  In Avid it is very simple to send a bin with sequences and clips for another editor. What is the comparable method in Premiere and what are the best practices for getting bins to other editors working remotely?

Thanks!

TOPICS
Editing, Export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Working remotely: sending bins

New Here ,
Aug 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a long time Avid user but I recently started a project in Premiere, which I'm loving.  In Avid it is very simple to send a bin with sequences and clips for another editor. What is the comparable method in Premiere and what are the best practices for getting bins to other editors working remotely?

Thanks!

TOPICS
Editing, Export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Aug 01, 2020 0
Advocate ,
Aug 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think using xml or edl stuff is really necassary in most cases, with reference movies for conforming stuff... usually just attaching bins to an email works great for me.

Sometimes there's a lot of source material that has to be shared too, but mostly it's just simple bin sharing.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 01, 2020 0
New Here ,
Aug 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Avid the bins are self contained and easy to find and email.  That is how I have always done it.  In PP all I see is the project file.  Am I missing something here?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 03, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check out Team Projects, which is free for all CC subscribers until at least mid-August. That might be extended. I've done some projects with another editor/sound/fx guy from South Africa ... I'm in Oregon, USA. Worked great.

Neil

https://www.adobe.com/creativecloud/team-projects.html

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 01, 2020 0
New Here ,
Aug 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!  I've looked at Team Projects.  What, if any, issues did you have?  

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 03, 2020 0
Aug 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Premiere, things like bins are not physical structures, they're just metadata in the project file.

The media is all accessed on-disc wherever you parked it intially, and things like bins and sequences are simply created from metadata. So there isn't a 'physical' thing to link to or send.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 03, 2020 0
New Here ,
Aug 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Neil.  In pratice then, if I want to send some clips to someone, create a "Project" duplicate the clips into the project and send them the project?  Are "Projects" similar to what "Bins" are in Avid?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 04, 2020 0
Aug 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not experienced in Avid, so I can't comment on the comparison.

To send essentially 'bins' sorted from Premiere, you'd need to say duplicate the project and include that file and the media in whatever means you send it to the other editor. They copy the project file and media to their computer, open and relink the media files.

There's also the Team Projects workflow in Premiere as I mentioned in the other post.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 04, 2020 0
MyerPj LATEST
Aug 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In PP you both need a similar data structure, folders, etc, with the media all in there. Then you just need to send the project file... Any added files over time would need to be sent to the other user also. You do the file stuff in Windows.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 04, 2020 0