Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Workspaces panel reverts on restart

Explorer ,
Apr 18, 2018 Apr 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have created and saved a number of different workspaces, based on the defaults.  So instead of Edit, I've created Edit2.  Instead of Color, I've created Color2, and so on.

They all work really great.

Now because they're custom, they don't show up in the Workspaces Panel at the top of the screen, but are instead in the Overflow Menu.  So I choose "Edit Workspaces", and delete the default menu choices, and move my own out of the Overflow Menu and into the main Bar Menu.  Then I save and continue working.

Great.

However, when I shut down Premiere and reopen it, the Workspaces Panel reverts to the original, default layout.

So what am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

Rick

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 18, 2018 Apr 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go into the User/<username>/Documents/Adobe/Premiere Pro 12 folder, and look for a folder or sub-folder titled "Layouts". Might be in a Profile-Creative Cloud subfolder as it is on mine currently.

Delete that folder.

Reboot, and relaunch PrPro, see if that clears this up. Although you'll probably need to recreate your custom layouts ... sigh.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 19, 2018 Apr 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alas, no change in behavior.

Here's what happens after I delete the Layouts folder.

When I start up Premiere again, it creates 2 folders:

ArchivedLayouts - Empty folder

Layouts - Contains only "WorkspaceConfig.xml"

Examination of WorkspaceConfig.xml reveals all the default workspaces that populate the Workspace Panel.

Once I select a project to work on, a new file called "UserWorkspace1.xml" shows up in the Layouts folder.  This xml file is much larger and doesn't look designed to be edited by users.

So then I modify the default Editing workspace, and choose "Window/Workspaces/Save as New Workspace", and give it the name "Editing 2".

workspaces panel 2.JPG

Then I choose Window/Workspaces/Edit Workspaces.." and I change the Workspaces panel, replacing Editing with Editing 2.

workspaces panel 3.JPG

When I do this, there is a change in the Layouts folder.  "UserWorkspace1.xml" changes to "UserWorkspace2.xml".  This new file also gets placed in the ArchivedLayouts folder.

Anyway, I save the project (for good luck), and shut down Premiere.  When I restart Premiere and open up my project again, here's what I get in my Workspaces panel:

workspaces panel 4.JPG

...and Editing 2 is now in the overflow menu.

I tried modifying the file "WorkspaceConfig.xml" to replace "Editing" with "Editing 2", but no luck.

So what's next?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Nuclear option.

Adobe CC Cleaner Tool ... Adobe CC Cleaner Tool: https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/cs5-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

Download that ... and disregard the instruction to use the CC desktop app to uninstall PrPro, you want to uninstall with the Cleaner Tool. It's an old DOS type mini-window you run from keyboard-only responses. And it looks scary, like it's going to wipe ALL CC apps ... but don't fret, keep going until you've specifically got PrPro 12 as the option. It will give you one last window ... do you really want to remove PrPro 12.x? ... yes, you do.

Then manually make sure the Layouts folder mentioned above is gone, AND ... check all the preferences and cache file locations ... here's a listing ...

User Preferences Location/Setting/Use: https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/using/preferences.html

Make sure those are all gone.

Reboot.

From the CC desktop app, download/install the latest PrPro version.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neil, I appreciate your help.

Unfortunately, no luck yet.  I ran through your procedures twice to make sure.  Here's the gritty details.

I shut down Premiere and went to my preference location:

delete preferences.JPG

...and selected everything and deleted.  Then I went to my cache location (which is on my D drive):

delete cache.JPG

...and again, selected everything and deleted.

Then I ran the Cleaner Tool:

cleaner tool 1.JPG

...where I chose "3".  Then the next screen listed all the products:

cleaner tool 2.JPG

...where the only obvious choice was "17".  Selecting it led to the final dialog:

cleaner tool 3.JPG

Note that I was never asked about Premiere Pro 12, just Premiere Pro CC.  Perhaps I'm using it wrong, or there's a different Cleaner Tool that you've used?

Anyway, then I rebooted my machine, and installed Premiere from the Creative Cloud App.  And I'm still having the same problem... changes to the Workspace Panel are not being saved.  I can create other workspaces just fine.  But they remain in the Overflow Menu.  I can't add them to the main bar.

One thing that seemed curious to me is after doing this twice I noticed that Premiere never reverted to the default location on Drive C for the media cache.  It remembered that my cache was on Drive D.  So perhaps there's a chunk of Premiere laying around that I didn't remove?

Thanks again for all the help you've provided so far.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post this to the feedback system they've now set up ...

Adobe Bug /Feature Request form: https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro

This is something that needs some attention then.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 27, 2021 Mar 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If i accidently deleted my workspaces how do i get them back because rn my premiere pro wont work because of it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 29, 2021 Mar 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you can recover the file, you can replace it in the 'normal' location ... on a PC, Users\username\documents\Adobe\Premiere Pro\15.0\Profile-user\layouts.

And note, if you have previous PrPro listings there where you get to the folder with '15.0' in it, like say 14.0, you can copy the layouts folder from that version, and paste that into the 15.0 folder location.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think this is an isolated incident. I'm having the same problem. All started with the release of 12.1.1.

I've even edited the Adobe Premiere Pro Prefs file in text edit and moved my workspaces into "shown:" workspaces ink the prefs doc. No luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I suggested above, please post this. I've talked with some of the people at NAB, and as I had this and posted this with them ... they've seen this problem already.

Neil

Adobe Bug /Feature Request form: https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 20, 2018 Apr 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 11, 2018 May 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same thing happening to me. All the standard workspaces reappear with every restart of Premiere. Hope there's a fix to this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unchecking Import workspaces from Projects might help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's unchecked

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 23, 2018 May 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick,

Try enabling Window > Workspaces > Import Workspace from Projects.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kevin-Monahan unfortunately, enabling Import Workspaces from Projects does not fix the bug. I tried enabling, customizing, saving, quitting, and relaunching, and workspaces are a mess:

Screenshot 2018-05-23 15.25.23.png

should look like:

Screenshot 2018-05-23 15.27.36.png

Best,

Benjamin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kevin, I tried that, but alas... no love.

Thanks for the suggestion though.  I'll vote for the fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 24, 2018 May 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Set Import Workspaces from Projects off before making new workspaces.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ann. This does not work on my system. The new workspace is made, but the default workspaces pushes it out of the way. What PrP build and OS are you using?

My steps: I turn off Set Import Workspaces and create "test". Looks great. This is expected behavior.

Screenshot 2018-05-24 08.18.41.png

then save, quit, reboot and get this mess. Not great, not expected:

Screenshot 2018-05-24 08.17.57.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you click on Edit Workspaces.

It lets you set the order you want them to be.

W10 7903

workspace.png

edit workspace.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. All the time. That's how I am able to fix the problem after each restart. It doesn't look like you are deleting any of your basic workspaces. Try deleting the ones you do not use, and then quit/relaunch to see the bug. (Assuming it's a bug on your particular PrP build/os combo.)  Again, what is your PrP build? What OS are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pr 12.1.1

Yes it looks like when you delete a workspace is gets all muddled up. Even when set in the do not show section.

If I dont delete, they stay put.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the confirmation. Please vote for a fix when you get a chance:

Workspaces Panel changes are not saved – Adobe video & audio apps

I tried it without deleting after seeing your screenshot, but mine still gets muddled. I've moved everything I don't use into "Do not show" but they come back, pushing my custom spaces into Overflow. Thanks! Benjamin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 18, 2018 Jun 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the exact same problems...
Did anybody find a solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines