• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

zooming in on a timeline/ sequence

Community Beginner ,
Feb 03, 2016 Feb 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in premiere pro cc 2014 you can zoom in on a timeline/ sequence by pressing alt and scrolling with a scroll wheel and it zooms in exactly where your mouse pointer is.

but in premiere pro cc 2015 it just zooms in on a random spot not where the coursor is.

does anyone have similar problems with premiere 2015?

PS: I am on windows 10

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jan 04, 2018 Jan 04, 2018

kulpreet singh  To however is doing this, please stop marking a question as "answered" when there has not been an actual answer to the question.

Ferdinand83​ I have a fix for this.

There is a problem with the way a lot of the Adobe apps behave when scaling for high DPI displays in Windows. Some people have proposed changing the Windows display scaling to 100% instead of the default 200%. Yes, that solves it but makes windows basically unusable because everything is tiny.

Here's the fix I found, th

Votes

Translate

Translate
Feb 03, 2016 Feb 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

So far, there is no such issue reported and I am also not able to replicate this at my end.

It's working in Premiere Pro CC2015.2 exactly in the same way, like it used to work in Premiere Pro CC2014.

I would suggest you to try it in a new project and check, if it is specific to one project.

thanks,

Kulpreet Singh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 08, 2016 Apr 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm using PremierePro CC v9.2.0 on Windows 10 and I have the same issue as namzakris. Whenever I use the mouse wheel to zoom in, it just zooms to a random place. Meanwhile PremierePro CC on my iMac at work handles it as expected, i.e. zooming in on the mouse cursor.

Is there any way to fix this? It is really hampering my workflow. Thanks a lot in advance.

PS: And no, creating a new project doesn't solve the issue, I tried that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 26, 2017 May 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Adobe Staff - can you please add your voice to the renewed discussion of this issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, I've been trawling PremierePro's preferences for ages, trying to find a fix for this, but no luck. I think it is a bug. Your suggestion seems interesting (especially given that Adobe doesn't seem to be able to recreate the issue), but I can't seem to fix it this way. I'm using a PC with a Dell 25 inch display and had the same issue on my Dell laptop, which had a 4K display.

Adobe? Any suggestions on how to finally fix that? That'd be great.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 30, 2017 May 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Want to confirm I have the same issue with Premiere Pro CC 2017 v11.1.1:

cannot zoom-in to a playhead with ALT+scrolling mouse wheel...

Windows 10 (build 14393.1198). I use 150% scaling in display settings for my 2560x1440 monitor which does not actually matter as the same thing happens on default 100% scaling.

It is a very very frustrating issue!

I do not understand why it does not bring a wave of complaints from PP users

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 15, 2017 Aug 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wanted to click on "I have the same question," but it's missing, because Kulpreet Singh's answer is marked as "correct."

But as of 2017.1.2, the bug has still not been fixed, and there are no known workarounds. To mark that answer as "correct" is just outright wrong. I'd say that the forum ought to have a "not correct?" or "not helpful" button that users can push, to contest the accuracy of "correct" answers.

I had reported this bug just a few days later, here: Premiere Pro 2015.1 Feature requests - YouTube

These are just 2 of 200+ bug/features I have reported: ALL Taran's feature requests and bug reports for Adobe Premiere - Google Sheets

Adobe, if you still can't reproduce this bug (or any others that I have reported) you're more than welcome to visit our studio again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 25, 2017 Aug 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This problem is not solved. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 10, 2016 May 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I also have the same problem and it's driving me crazy.

I have PremierePro v9.2.0 on a Windows 10.

Hope someone has a fix for this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 24, 2017 Apr 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey,

I've just been using the most recent version of Premiere Pro CC 2017 and the zooming in on the timeline issue on Windows still exists.

To recap, you can zoom in on a timeline/sequence by pressing alt and scrolling the mouse scroll wheel. On Mac, this zoom occurs right where the cursor is pointing, which is where I want to zoom in. However, on Windows, it zooms to a random spot instead. This problem hasn't been fixed since version 2015, for me anyway.

Could you please let me know, how to fix it, or will Adobe issue a fix themselves?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am on Windows 7 and it works fine with 2017.1:

0566.gif

maybe a mouse software/hardware issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Roei,

That's exactly how it should work. I'm really confused, because I've been using Premiere Pro CC on three different PCs since I first added to this discussion and each time, the zoom feature didn't do what you've just been showing. What's the issue on my PCs? Having said that, they were all running Windows 10...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did anybody ever solve this issue?  Just installed CC 2017 and for the first time in my life having this problem - I've used Premiere for years on all different computers - but with this zoom problem cannot do any proper work.  It's infuriating!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey lcagdaiden, not as far as I can see and yes, it is indeed very infuriating that Adobe doesn't seem to believe there to be a problem. Just so there is some 'visual' proof, I captured what happens when I try to zoom into my timeline:

I hope everybody agrees, that this is not how this is supposed to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Precisely the same issue as mine...  Drives me nuts - especially when I have an hour long timeline that's not so easy to scroll around when zoomed in.

So is this an actual bug?  I figured this could be some stupid setting hidden somewhere away from view? 

Just curious - are you running your system on any high resolution?  Do you see any difference in the zoom issue at different resolutions?  I had a similar issue with a completely unrelated program - Civ6, the video game - where at higher resolutions it seemed to be confused as to where my mouse cursor was pointed.  I fixed the civ6 issue by changing game resolution, but played with it in premiere today and it doesn't seem to make any difference.  Probably not helpful, but just throwing it out there...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 25, 2017 Aug 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same problem of random scrolling focus and it's driving me bananas.  PC, Windows 10

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 01, 2017 Sep 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I solved the problem by changing the scaling in Display setting > Scale and Layout to 100% and restarting the PC. Hope it helps others.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Forcing the user to use 100% scaling, just for the sake of fixing one bug in one application, is not a solution. Users need to be able to scale larger than 100% in Windows, (or Macintosh) or everything will be far too small to see on high DPI monitors (we have one at 8K)

Besides, Moott97761251 says that it is not solved even on his 100% scaled monitor, so it's not even a solution that works for everyone.

This bug has still not been fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 04, 2018 Jan 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

kulpreet singh  To however is doing this, please stop marking a question as "answered" when there has not been an actual answer to the question.

Ferdinand83​ I have a fix for this.

There is a problem with the way a lot of the Adobe apps behave when scaling for high DPI displays in Windows. Some people have proposed changing the Windows display scaling to 100% instead of the default 200%. Yes, that solves it but makes windows basically unusable because everything is tiny.

Here's the fix I found, though. Navigate to the .exe file for Premiere Pro in your Program Files/Adobe folder. Right click on it and choose properties. Then click the "Compatibility" tab and then the checkmark box for "Override high DPI scaling..." and in the dropdown menu set it to "System."

(Side note: I had a different problem with scaling in After Effects and in that case I had to set it to "Application" instead of "System" to fix it. Try the other options if one doesn't work.)

Once I did that, the timeline zooming worked like it used to on my old computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 05, 2018 Jan 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Awesome! This worked for me on my surface book 2 and surface pro 4. Gotta say this was really bugging me and I'm glad you figured out a solution. Your post should be the one marked as correct.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jan 06, 2018 Jan 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you can unmark the incorrect answer and set that to correct...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 08, 2018 Jan 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

holy crap this actually WORKED

YEAH BOIIIIIIIIII

edit:

Please see my next post for the issues with Premiere's UI scaling.

PS, I am still on the last version of the 2017 software.

I get the terrible feeling that this fix will be broken in a future update, or that doing this will break something else, somewhere else in Premiere...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 09, 2018 Jan 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 09, 2018 Jan 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AHAH!!

Ever since I followed VertigoJC's guide, and switched to using the system UI for high DPI scaling, using ALT and CTRL to scroll the timeline now works perfectly.

HOWEVER, It also changed the entire look of Premiere in a subtle way:

EFFECT CONTROLS - WITH PREMIERE'S UI SCALING:

(nice and sharp):

effect controls.PNG

EFFECT CONTROLS - WITH WINDOWS' UI SCALING:

(Fuzzier text and icons):

SCALING LOOKS NOT AS GOOD.png

----

CLIP FX EDITOR - DENOISER / STUDIO REVERB / DYNAMICS / ETC - WITH PREMIERE'S UI SCALING:

(notice how the internal window is completely cropped off - it must be manually resized in order to see the entire thing.)

denoiser.PNGstudio reverb.PNGdynamics.PNG

CLIP FX EDITOR - DENOISER / STUDIO REVERB / DYNAMICS / ETC - WITH WINDOWS' UI SCALING:

(A little soft, but the inner window actually fits the outer window properly.)

denoiser NEW.pngstudio reverb NEW.pngSCALING OF THESE WINDOWS HAS IMPROVED.png

(This no-longer-weirdly-cropped result also applies to other "Clip FX Editor" windows that I didn't show here.)

CONCLUSION:

I would love to be able to use Premiere's built-in, sharper UI scaling. But it crops the Clip FX editor, and results in ALT / CTRL + SCROLL WHEEL timeline navigation being completely ruined.

I'd appreciate if , or a mod, would mark

MY SYSTEM SPECS:

Two of my monitors are 4K, each with 150% UI scaling.

I'm on Win10, creators edition.

Still using Premiere 2017.1.2

THIS BUG REPORT WITH VIDEO EXPLANATION:

BUG REPORT - Premiere UI scaling issues - with workaround - YouTube

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines