• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

zooms/reframes in proxy workflow

Advocate ,
Aug 24, 2017 Aug 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought I'd have a go a using proxies today, but previously I've been put off because I'll re-frame nearly every shot and often zoom during the shot. My current workflow has 4k footage on a 1080 timeline.

I have a bunch of presets that use scale to do this (made before I found the transform tool). 

Does it mean that if I edit on a 960x540 timeline that all my scales will scale up automatically to a 1080 timeline.  or what!?

Help what to do!?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Aug 29, 2017 Aug 29, 2017

OK.

It's my understanding that the Proxy process doesn't work with Interpreted footage.  You may have to transcode those to Cineform files.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would set up the proxies to 1280x720 in a 1920x1080 timeline.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want my final timeline to be 1080 not 4K. 

I dont get how 720p will work. My 4k footage is twice the width of 1920x1080. 1080 is not twice the width of 720. Urgh! confused

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 25, 2017 Aug 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes you are a bit confused.

Just forget the proxies for a moment.

When one wants to reframe/zoom in-out or whatever, one drops 4K in a 1920x1080 timeline.

Export to 1080p, done

Now you want to do the same but using proxies assuming your machine is not that powerful.

Set up is still the same: timeline 1920x1080 with reframed 4K footage.

The proxy files you made are attached to the 4K. When editing you are using the proxy files. When exporting the original files are used automatically.

Does not matter which proxy setting (cineform preferred) you use as long as it has the same frame aspect (16:9) especially when you are doing secondary color correction with masks or use a mask in some other way.

Sometimes you dont see any difference in the Program Monitor between original footage and proxy footage.

Some users embed an image/watermark in the proxy to tell the difference.

Here’s a free watermark for your Adobe Premiere Pro CC Proxy Files

When using Warp Stabilization or Morph cut on a clip, Premiere will use the original file in the timeline, not the proxy file.

For more details see Jims link.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Aug 27, 2017 Aug 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm always confused. its my rest state.

Thanks for the info folks.

So basically you dont have to do anything - just add the toggle proxy button in the program monitor and ppro sorts out the rest. Heres hopin...

Edit: Except it doesn't work. I toggle the proxies on and off and the zoom is quite different.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 28, 2017 Aug 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You've done something wrong, I believe.

Did you start with the native Proxy process?  Did you redo the work using those new proxies?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Aug 28, 2017 Aug 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi jim

It was an existing project template (ie virtually empty, just a few bits and bobs of titles and whatnots). Setup proxy settings to cineform 720, create proxies only. Set destination folder on an ssd. Imported footage and proxies were created.  some of this footage was shot at 29.97 fps and I interpreted to 25p. I assumed premiere would also do this with the proxies, but maybe I need to do this manually. this would explain the discrepancy in zoom too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 29, 2017 Aug 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK.

It's my understanding that the Proxy process doesn't work with Interpreted footage.  You may have to transcode those to Cineform files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Aug 31, 2017 Aug 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

ah, well bugger thats most of what I shoot.  Of well. thanks for the help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Edit in a sequence matching your delivery specs.  Zoom and reframe as needed.  With the native Proxy process outlined below (use only the included Cineform presets), it'll come out right.

Work offline using proxy media |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines