Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Stacked Clips in Adobe Rush

New Here ,
Sep 27, 2019 Sep 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey everyone, 

I'm new to video editing, and I don't understand how the stacked clips work in Adobe Rush. Is there a way to remove the connection? When I try and move a clip that seems to be attached (stacked) to other clips (see the little orange lines), it won't move or it will move a bunch of other clips as well. 

1) How are clips bunched together ie stacked? 

2) Is there a way to remove these stacks, so that certain clips can be moved/removed etc independently? 

and lastly 

3) When I move a clip in between two existing clips, instead of moving all the clips further out in the timeline, it seems to just delete footage from the clip I'm dropping the new clip over. Is there a way to avoid this? 

Thank you for the help! Overall Rush is a pretty rad way to create quick edited videos. 

Troy 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Mar 11, 2021 Mar 11, 2021

SOLVED!

The default video layer is causing this linking / locking. If you drag all of your clips onto higher video layers, then you can move them all independently of one another. Notice that the default video layer is taller than the other 3 video layers.

Rush-Fix.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Sep 28, 2019 Sep 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "stacked clips". But I'll be uploading a series of Basic Training tutorials for Premiere Rush in support of my new book on Rush to YouTube in the next few days. They may answer some of your questions.

I'll let you know when the videos are up!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Troy. I've uploaded by Basic Training tutorial series to YouTube. You can see it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbF4J8mHcC0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok I'll take a look at your tutorials soon, thanks Steve. I'm referring to when you have clips on more than one row. For example there are three tracks (rows) of clips. It seems that clips that are directly above the clips on the bottom row are somehow connected. You can see this with orange lines.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 09, 2021 Jan 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know exactly what you're talking about Color Station. So far the only thing I've found that will disconnect the clips is to lock the main clip, then you can move the other ones around or delete if necessary. I don't know if this is the correct answer but it works for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The video layers (stacks) that you have in your image allow you to make multiple transitions or give you more potential for blending your video or add Titles or graphics to your edit - you can also MOVE/SCALE the clip in the layer above, to reveal the layer underneath.   If you want to insert the deer (before/after) the eagle clip select and drag the clip down to the main video layer, Rush will move the clips out (extending the length of your project).

You can edit the duration of the new insert by sliding the large orange handles on either end of your clips. (bold orange indicates selected).  

You can lock a video layer, but unless you migrate your project to PremierePro, you'll just move the individual clips around rather than doing any kind of advanced nesting.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 09, 2021 Jan 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They've fixed it! I just went on to do some editing and the linking issue has been fixed Zippity Doo Dah!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 04, 2021 Mar 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also wondering this myself as it keeps stopping me from using Rush. I find myself in a situation where anything added above the first layout somehow becomes linked to that layer and can no longer be moved independently. How do you break the link and why does it form in the first place?

Link.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 07, 2021 Mar 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the image paulcSkipton. Hopefully, somebody will answer this as the discussion above is unclear. Your image points out the most frustrating feature in Rush. If I am dealing with four tracks, (3 video and 1 audio) and the audio is the final track which I uploaded independently of any video while muting audio in the video tracks, the video track above the independent audio track ALWAYS links. Anything I do to that video track impacts the audio track and eliminates any video mixing I want to do with the video tracks higher in the stack. I am either missing something very obvious, or this is a serious design flaw that needs to be addressed.  My vote is to lose the links. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 01, 2022 Aug 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

agreed, it makes it unusable. i cant jsut edit one track without it destroying anything else that is already in the timeline. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 11, 2022 Dec 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Click in an empty portion of a track so the orange disapears. Then click on the locks of the tracks that you dont want to edit yet. Then your remaining track is no longet linked that is unlocked is no longer linked

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 11, 2022 Dec 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry... Then your remaining track that isnt locked is no longer linked

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 11, 2021 Mar 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm experiencing the same issue with separate clips somehow getting nested / linked / stacked. I don't want this! How do you unlink them?? See attached video.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 11, 2021 Mar 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SOLVED!

The default video layer is causing this linking / locking. If you drag all of your clips onto higher video layers, then you can move them all independently of one another. Notice that the default video layer is taller than the other 3 video layers.

Rush-Fix.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 29, 2021 Jun 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this same issue with the annoying linking. I'm using 4 video layers and they all seem to be linked to the bottom layer with orange lines. I've dragged the top 3 into one layer (leaving a 2 layer gap between them and the default layer) but they're all still linked. If I delete items on the default layer, it deletes items above! This is ridiculous,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 10, 2023 Nov 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@artichoked Agreed, but if it's the main/default layer that you need to move, locking all other layers will still not allow you to move the clips down the timeline. See my video attached: The main layer in which other layers are linked to with that orange line bounces back to its original place even with everything else locked. How do I solve this or do I need to start over?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 20, 2024 Feb 20, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same exact issue. After locking all other layers/tracks and then selecting all clips in the main layer EXCEPT for the first one, I was able to move them to another layer, and then it seemed to unlock the first one for me as well (at least I think that's what finally worked). Even after undoing those steps, I can select and move all the clips at once out of the main layer and can no longer reproduce the stuck behavior in this file. I would say this is a bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 20, 2024 Feb 20, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

(the stuck behavior of the first clip in the main track, that is)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines