Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Crashed on Dropbox import AND black screen export

Community Beginner ,
Apr 28, 2020 Apr 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

I've been editing my video for a week now with no problems and it's a really good one ready for export BUT To my horror today, as soon as I want to import files from the Dropbox option, as soon as I click Dropbox, Rush decides to close the whole program. This hasn't happened before, and I didn't do anything significant to trigger this change. I am about 98% done with the video and it's very frustrating. 

Another thing is, when I tried exporting the video, the video plays in a BLACK screen (filmed on iphone), but the audio, picture inlays and b-roll from a Sony camera all manage to playback. Not sure why???

Im using Rush on my iPad. 

TOPICS
Crash , Export , Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 29, 2020 Apr 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, that's happening! Can you try signing out of Dropbox and back in to see if that helps?

[I responded to you on another post about the black video so I'll copy and paste that here]

Hi hirelisafordesign (nice name :))

I've seen a few reports of this happening now, although I have not been able to make it happen on my mobile devices.

Getting the following info will be helpful in trying to resolve the issue 

1. What device and OS do you have?
  2. What type of media is in your project(iPhone, DSLR, etc.)? 
  3. Does this issue occur with all projects, or is this is a specific project? 

After you export the project that shows black video, can you please send me the logs from your device? 

1. Launch Rush 
  2. From the Project Browser, tap on the gear icon (top left of screen) 
  3. Tap on Preferences > Share logs  

Thanks,

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 30, 2020 Apr 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

I replied you on the other thread and I hope you can find a resolution soon.. I am at loss of what to do right now. Waiting for your reply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[Posted by hirelisafordesign 4/29/20 on another thread] 

Thanks for replying,
1) The device is an iPad Pro bought in 2018, software version 13.3.1.
2) The types of media are some music and voice audio, some jpgs and pngs, (all exporting fine) and talking head .mov files and .mp4 files filmed on an iPhone 7 Plus from 2017, and some .mov b-roll from a Sony camera (not mine so I don't know the make). Some videos export and some don't (a majority) from both cameras.
3) This is my second project on Rush so I can't say, although I did have a problem exporting my first project as well in Dec 2019 where the program kept crashing so I didn't resume it.

I've also had some feedback from an agent on the chat mentioning that because I uploaded my files from Dropbox, there is a bug that shows the video in a black screen on export. The solution he gave me was to wait for the next update and engineers have already been notified (but how long will that be?) My video is all ready and I want to upload it already.

The whole reason why I used Rush was because it had a function to upload from Dropbox, a feature many other video editing apps don't have. I don't want to take up a lot of local storage space as I'm sharing my iPad with a family member so I opted for Dropbox. To have it not render correctly upon export after a week and half of edit is very disheartening.

Today I just tried downloading all my files and keeping it locally, changing one of the clips to the one stored on the iPad, but on the export screen it shows black. I haven't exported it yet but I fear it may be the same result. It might not even be a Dropbox issue but just an export issue on Rush.

Just to mention the clips were filmed
In May 2019 (B-Roll)
and just now in April 2020 (Talking Head).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi hirelisafordesign,

Thanks for all the details and for sending over the device logs. A few more questions. 

For Dropbox issue:

1. Have you tried signing out and back into Dropbox?  

2. From the logs, it looks like there's a particular file in Dropbox that is causing the crash. Not sure if possible but if you do not have too many files, can you try to figure out what file is causing Rush to crash? You can either remove some out of Dropbox or add them into another folder into Dropbox. 

We'll try to resolve this in the meantime. 

Black video issue:

1. To confirm, is it only the iPhone 7 and Sony files that appear black in the exported file? 

2. If you change the export setting, does that help avoid the black video issue? Try 1080p 30 fps.

If may be helpful to send the problematic files to me as well to help try to reproduce this problem. 

Thanks again for all the information you are providing.

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter, we're on a 12 hour time zone difference so the replies come late,

1) Yes, I've tried that many times, signing in and out, uninstalling dropbox, Rush, etc, restarting iPad, I've tried that all already.

2) No, it's a mixture of both. Some appear and some don't, it isn't exclusive to either device. Both have some that appear and some that don't, although the majority skews to the iPhone.

3) How do I change the export settings? I'm on iPad mobile app, there isn't an option to change export settings. 

Finally, I'm not sure which file is exactly causing the problem, I am working across many files across 5 folders. Can you see from your side which one exactly? The crash can be fixed, I found the solution - by adding any local media to the end of the video, and then head back to Dropbox to add my preferred media - it doesn't crash Dropbox this way. Just a trick I discovered.

The main issue is black screen on export. Like I said it isn't exclusive to either device. It is an export issue, I'm not sure how to change the export settings on the mobile app, there is no option for it. I tried downloading the file in question that seems to be exporting black, I tried downloading it locally to the iPad, and created a new project in Rush with said file. It exports on black screen as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update: I just saw the drop down option to change to 1080 30fps on the export page. Same result, black screen.

I just did a quick play back and it seems only (some of) the iPhone footage is not showing. The Sony footage, pictures, text and audio all appear. 
What should I do now?
Thanks Peter. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 02, 2020 May 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Waited all day and no reply, safe to say my project is a lost case? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 04, 2020 May 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am sorry for the delay. I've requested help from a few engineers that may have more insight looking at your logs. While I wait for their response, I wanted to try looking into a few more things. 

1. Where the video is black, can you tell me if there are any effects or any changes made to those clips (speed, color, scale)? 
  2. How much free space do you have on your iPad?
  3. Is it possible to sync your project to another device and export it there?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks,

1) they were flipped on a horizontal plane on the iPhone internal edit before importing to Dropbox. On Rush the edits are just brightness and vibrance. 
2) 12Gb available on 64Gb 

3) I tried opening the project on my iphone, then at the same time I opened it on my ipad, I realised all the files read as "file missing" I panicked and didn't pursue the iPhone export because I was focused on re-linking the files on the ipad. It was a lot of unnecessary double work. After which I didn't try to export on iphone. I didn't try this option but it's worth exploring, although I don't want to risk my project again. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much for the added info. I'm still not able to recreate the issue on my end. As I continue to investigate a possible cause, I think trying to sync to your iPhone or Desktop would be a good idea. Please try the following

1. Quit Rush on your iPad 

2. Launch Rush on your iPhone or Desktop. Make sure you're connected to WiFi or a cellular network. If using Cellular, make sure to enable "Use Cellular For Sync".

3. Open the project. Wait until the sync progress is complete (blue progress ring closes) before closing/backgrounding Rush.

If you see "files missing" no need to panic 🙂 Long-press or right-click on the video and select "relink" navigate to where your file is and select ok/connect.

If you run into any issues there connecting the media. try the following 

1. On your iPad, verify all media is present
  2. Close the project
  3. From the Project Browser, tap on the more options button (...) > Select "Turn sync off" 
  4. Once you see the cloud icon removed, tap on the more options button (...) > Select "Turn sync on" 
  5. Open the project. Wait until the sync progress is complete (blue progress ring closes) before closing/backgrounding Rush.
  6. Close Rush on your iPad 
  7. Launch Rush on your iPhone or Desktop. Make sure you're connected to WiFi or a cellular network. If using Cellular, make sure to enable "Use Cellular For Sync" 
  8. Open the project. Wait until the sync progress is complete (blue progress ring closes) before closing/backgrounding Rush.

Please let us know if any of these options worked for you. Sorry for the trouble and thanks for your patiance. 

Peter 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 05, 2020 May 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried opening Rush on my iphone today. Those black clips that exported black before, now show as black on the playback screen. I waited for the blue circle to finish loading but at the end it shows as a red exclamation mark in a circle - some media can't be found. Even in the project assets the media files show as "media missing". 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 05, 2020 May 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sorry, this hasn't gone smoothly. Did you try the second set of steps I provided?

If you run into any issues there connecting the media. try the following 

1. On your iPad, verify all media is present
  2. Close the project
  3. From the Project Browser, tap on the more options button (...) > Select "Turn sync off" 
  4. Once you see the cloud icon removed, tap on the more options button (...) > Select "Turn sync on" 
  5. Open the project. Wait until the sync progress is complete (blue progress ring closes) before closing/backgrounding Rush.
  6. Close Rush on your iPad 
  7. Launch Rush on your iPhone or Desktop. Make sure you're connected to WiFi or a cellular network. If using Cellular, make sure to enable "Use Cellular For Sync" 
  8. Open the project. Wait until the sync progress is complete (blue progress ring closes) before closing/backgrounding Rush.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines