Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to add subtitles in Premiere Rush?

New Here ,
Oct 25, 2018 Oct 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Is it possible to add subtitles to video in Premiere Rush?

TOPICS
How to , Tips and tricks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Oct 25, 2018 Oct 25, 2018

Hi shorombom66732767,

This functionality is not present in Premiere Rush.

Thanks

Nikhil

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Jan 30, 2019 Jan 30, 2019

Yes you can add subtitles! I found an easy way to do it.

1. Add an unformatted Title and move it to where you want it on your screen. Format it to look how you want. 

2. Extend the Title out so it runs for the full length of your movie.

3. Write in the first bit of text

4. When you need to change text to the next bit of speech, hit cmd K (to split the title) and add in the next text to the new title.

5. Simply split the title at every edit point and you will have subtitles!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi shorombom66732767,

This functionality is not present in Premiere Rush.

Thanks

Nikhil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey shorombom66732767​

Feel free to file it as a feature request on our UserVoice platform so that others can up-vote it: Premiere Rush: Hot (269 ideas) – Adobe video & audio apps

Thanks,

Rameez

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 30, 2019 Jan 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes you can add subtitles! I found an easy way to do it.

1. Add an unformatted Title and move it to where you want it on your screen. Format it to look how you want. 

2. Extend the Title out so it runs for the full length of your movie.

3. Write in the first bit of text

4. When you need to change text to the next bit of speech, hit cmd K (to split the title) and add in the next text to the new title.

5. Simply split the title at every edit point and you will have subtitles!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 07, 2019 Oct 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds great, but how do you add an unformatted title? I only see formatted options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 08, 2019 Oct 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi JCEPF! They're formatted, yes, but you can change font, size, color, and other attributes to make them look the way you want. In all honesty, there's actually more customizability in the titling tool here than there is in any of our subtitling tools! Let me know if you have any other questions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 06, 2020 Jan 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I used the 'Bold Caption Fade' title and it worked like a charm to create subtitles using your method

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 19, 2020 Feb 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@julienv974 – That's a perfect Title choice for subtitles, thanks.

@alexm96561153 – Your technique works perfectly for easily adding subtitles... And if you keep the focus in the subtitle's track, then it's easy to just zip through the video and alternate between pressing play/pause, entering the new subtitle text, and clicking on the scissors to split (your step #4) and make the next cut. Thank you for sharing your helpful solution.

Here's more from Adobe's Premiere Rush intro tutorial on creating/managing titles:

https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-rush/how-to/customize-animated-titles.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this for Adobe Rush? Command K has no effect on my Mac version.

I've also tried splitting the title using S, but that splits to the left of the timeline, making it completely useless.

Please help! Captions take forever right now!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Philles,

Yes, this is for Premiere Rush. Try following Alex's steps, making sure to begin by stretching your initial [sub]title for the entire length of your video.

Then step through the video one segment at a time using play/pause... Keep the mouse focus in the title's track and enter the new subtitle text, then click on the scissors to split (his step #4) and make the next cut. Repeat this as often as needed throughout the video.

Hope that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was helpful! The Command K was screwing me up. I'm using S instead of the Scissors. The only issue is that it frequently loses the cursor for typing and I have to click around to find it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that's right. "S" is the keyboard shortcut for the Split (scissors) command, on both Windows and macOS.

But if you skip the keyboard shortcut and just keep your focus set in the subtitle's track, then you can easily alternate between clicking play/pause to advance, directly typing in the new subtitle text, and then clicking the scissors to split the segment. Keep repeating like that through your whole video.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You bet, glad to help. Great thread and solution for adding captions in Premiere Rush!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 11, 2020 Jul 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having trouble not splitting my text to the right. I type my text, hit the scissors then my text splits to the right and never to the left. How do I fix this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 12, 2020 Jul 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Clicking on the scissors splits the segment, not the text.

The new segment retains (duplicates) the text of the most-recently entered subtitle.

After splitting, change the text on the rightmost segment to the new desired caption.

Then split off again at the next appropriate spot in the footage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 18, 2020 Dec 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if you have a mac, you should have finalcut pro. why are you still using adobe premiere rush 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 19, 2020 May 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@alexm96561153 This works perfectly! It is also SO much easier than doing it in Premier. Thank you! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 13, 2021 Feb 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It worked just fine but the cmd-K failed to split the frame. The scissors tool gets it done. Thanks for the tip!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 09, 2023 Aug 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We need an 'add subtitles' function on Rush ASAP, otherwise i will have to start editing in capcut 😅

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 18, 2024 Feb 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You can create captions with Adobe Express here: https://www.adobe.com/express/feature/video/add-caption

1. Select Upload your video
  2. Drag and drop file into uploader
  3.  Captions will generate automatically
  4.  Select Download to save file as is or Open in Adobe Express to edit (the latter is best so you can check for any errors in captions).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines