• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Jittery Playback in Rush

Participant ,
Oct 23, 2018 Oct 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a project I'm working on. It is currently about 8min and I'm chopping down some LONG GoPro Hero 7 Black files from a bike ride. So I probably have a project with like 30 segments of a handful of long mp4 files.  I'm working on an iphone 8 Plus (because my iPadPro doesn't have the file space to hold the clips I want to edit in Rush... Next time I'll record in smaller segments, perhaps?)

I just updated Rush to version 1.0.1 (339) today and opened the project to continue working on it and I was playing one of the short segments and the playback was jittery. it would pause for a frame and hold it for like 10 seconds and then jump to a frame 10 seconds ahead and then pause... and so on and so on. 

I hadn't seen this with the version that was released initially with the exact same video files and the same project file.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Nov 06, 2018 Nov 06, 2018

Thanks for the support on this. I turned on sync for this project and let it do it's thing.... Today when I came back to it and was looking at the clips that were stuttering, it seems pretty smooth.

So I'm assuming, my original clips went to the cloud and the app has downloaded proxy versions? So it's playing off the proxy versions. 

My question is, what happens during export? Does it save the highest version on the server off the full res? Since the original clips are still in my camera roll, do

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant ,
Oct 23, 2018 Oct 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some further info... Footage was only shot at 1080/30.  I'd maybe expect this if the footage was 4K on a phone... but I'd think the iPhone 8plus could handle the 1080 files.

I can export to Premiere to finish, but I was curious to give Rush a whirl.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 02, 2018 Nov 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

this question has so many variables involved. Phones can sometimes get stuck themselves, you could have lots of apps open, could have wifi on and bluetooth and numerous apps working in the background. And Rush is brand new, and was made for short simple 3-5 clip social media posts, and for the average user. Video files as you know are huge, AND they arent actually importedIf you have a goPro ... your advanced! ha!

Sounds like Premiere would be a better space for your project. But if your insistent, did you try resetting your phone?

Or maybe trying Rush on the desktop version might work better for you and give you a chance to try it out?

Wish I could be of more assistance. Good luck!

mark

Consulting | Design | Motion | Training>headTrix, Inc. | Adobe Certified Training & Consulting<br />Consulting | Design | Development | Training

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well... I may be assuming Rush is capable of more than I expected. I assumed from the presentation that it would solve the problem for youTubers to put together a well produced show easily. I expected a 3-5 min webisode would be the target.

That said... this particular clip is MANY clips. Well over 3-5 clips.  It's currently at like 8 min and many many clips. (I dropped in a couple long GoPro files I transferred to my phone with the GoPro Quik Key.) and then I was chopping out big hunks to get to a shorter  more interesting edit. I've done stuff like this in the past with iMovie and it's worked (although, i'd always used my iPad Pro, which likely has a bit more horsepower... and maybe that's the answer... I just want more space on my iPad.  😞

And I did not proxy clip this project (that I'm aware of). Because files were large, I selected to keep this project entirely on the phone.

I will just move on and edit on the PC for now til I can better resolve my space issue on the iPad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Motoed-Work,

I appreciate the detailed response and feedback. I'm guessing you've hit upon a workflow that does have some problems with it.

Well... I may be assuming Rush is capable of more than I expected. I assumed from the presentation that it would solve the problem for youTubers to put together a well produced show easily. I expected a 3-5 min webisode would be the target.

That's definitely the goal.

It's currently at like 8 min and many many clips. (I dropped in a couple long GoPro files I transferred to my phone with the GoPro Quik Key.) and then I was chopping out big hunks to get to a shorter more interesting edit.

I think I can see what's going on here. You've transferred large media files directly into your phone without any interaction from Rush or Creative Cloud.

And I did not proxy clip this project (that I'm aware of). Because files were large, I selected to keep this project entirely on the phone.

I would definitely allow proxies to be struck if you are starting a project on your phone as they are probably more performant than your GoPro files. Perhaps an iPad Pro would work better since they are now nearly as powerful as a MacBook Pro. Another thing to check is making sure you have some overhead with the storage on your phone and to close all apps that may be running in the background.

Since this product is so new, there are probably a variety of workflows that Rush is not yet optimized for.

I will just move on and edit on the PC for now til I can better resolve my space issue on the iPad.

Yes, please let us know how that goes. I am very curious to see if you are able to work more reliably with a more conservative workflow.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Motoed-Hidden

Sorry, you're experiencing these performance issues in Rush. I don't think you're asking too much from Rush. I'd expect these files to playback ok and if they are not I'd like to try to fix this. Would it be possible to share a few of these clips with me? I will not share the media and they will only use them for testing purposes.

Thanks in advance and sorry for the trouble.

PG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Peter!

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 06, 2018 Nov 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the support on this. I turned on sync for this project and let it do it's thing.... Today when I came back to it and was looking at the clips that were stuttering, it seems pretty smooth.

So I'm assuming, my original clips went to the cloud and the app has downloaded proxy versions? So it's playing off the proxy versions. 

My question is, what happens during export? Does it save the highest version on the server off the full res? Since the original clips are still in my camera roll, does it save from that?

But the upside is, I have a "many" clipped 8 min rush file that seems to playing on my phone smoothly and editing smoothly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 08, 2018 Nov 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there, Motoed!

The sync feature won't create proxies for projects that originate on iOS, so even though you've turned the sync on, the app is still using the original media you saved onto your camera roll. So in this case, your export will be using the full res files you have saved on your phone!

An additional note for future reference: When a synced project is created on the desktop and then opened on the mobile app, Rush will use proxy media. However, if you want to export their original media in the original resolution, you MUST move back to the desktop where you originally created the project.

Hope that helps!

Caroline

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 24, 2019 Mar 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Caroline

I have a slightly different problem in that my 5 min Gil looks fine in Rush but jumpy after export (on my lapto.)

looking at this, though, should we ONLY be using files from the same locations in Rush when we make the project? I think is added some files on my phone, some in the desktop. Now can’t remember which is which....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Motoed-Work,

Sorry for the performance issues. Did you allow some time after ingesting your videos to Rush? You do need to allow a bit of time for the proxy clips to be created, and this may take some time depending on your connection.

How are things going now? Is it easier to edit your files once your proxies were added to your Creative Cloud folder? Let us know.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 22, 2020 Dec 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This may be covered in another thread, but I just performed the v1.5.40 update and got the jittery playback. I unchecked hardware acceleration in preferences and it worked fine. Obviously a new bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines