• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

MacOS Screen Recording Unable to Preview/import .mov Bug?

Participant ,
Jan 09, 2019 Jan 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having an issue using macs os built in screen recorder and importing the .mov file into Adobe Rush CC.

I can create one screen recording using "shift cmd 5" and able to import the video into Premier Rush. If I capture any other screen recordings I get a "unable to preview"  in the rush file browser not able to import.

Tried restarting my computer and clearing the cache. Same results each time. The .mov files still play in Quicktime player so doesn't appear to be an issue with the screen recording file.

TOPICS
Error or problem , Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Beginner , May 20, 2019 May 20, 2019

I had the same problem and MacOS up-to-date. Solution is to "Export as" the screen reccording from QuickTime with the "HEVC" box checked.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Aug 16, 2019 Aug 16, 2019

Hi All

Thanks for reporting this issue and sorry for the hassle. This issue is caused by QuickTime adding what is called "complex edit lists" to their files. I'm not exactly sure why some files contain this information, and some do not. We're investigating how to fix it.

For now, the best workaround is the following:

1. Export a new file from QuickTime
    1. File > Export As (select your desired settings)
  2. Change the file extension from mov to mp4
  3. Use Handbrake to re-encode
    1. https://handbrake.fr/
  4. Use http://www.squared5.com/svideo/mpeg-streamclip-mac.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 10, 2019 Jan 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jergerb,

Which format are these files? Let us know.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 18, 2019 Jan 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm just using the quicktime screen recorder. So .mov or whatever quicktime uses. It seems after I restarted my computer a day later the files magically will import into the project. Sometimes the preview doesn't show

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 05, 2019 Feb 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. The screen recorded .mov file won't import into Premiere.

Error message: We are unable to open the file on disk.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 06, 2019 Feb 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey folks!

I wonder if transcoding the file would somehow make it readable. You can do this using Adobe Media Encoder or you can use a free third-party software like Handbrake!

https://handbrake.fr/

Try running your screen recording through a transcoder and reimporting.

Caroline

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 09, 2019 May 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, Media Encoder will not read the file either!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 11, 2019 May 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've not had any problems making screen recordings with Quicktime and importing them into Rush. Could you describe more of your workflow and specs?

I'm using:

Macbook Pro 15-inch 2018

MacOS Mojave 10.14.4

Rush V 1.1.0

QuickTime Player 10.5

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 14, 2019 May 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jergerb,

Is this an older Mac? Let us know the model. You can also check out the format of the clip via inspecting it in freeware called "MediaInfo." My suspicion is that you are generating older QuickTime files that are no longer supported.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 20, 2019 May 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No this is a brand new Mac Book Pro 13". OSX 10.14.4

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 20, 2019 May 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem and MacOS up-to-date. Solution is to "Export as" the screen reccording from QuickTime with the "HEVC" box checked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 24, 2020 Jan 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much for the quick easy solution

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 30, 2020 Jan 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah.. let's bump this answer up...

No need to use yet another app—this worked great for me. Just recording user flows on screen—nothing crazy.

C'mon Adobe, let's get a fix for this stuff!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 24, 2020 Nov 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, this worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 04, 2023 Dec 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Worked for me - many thanks!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 13, 2019 Jun 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the exact same problem. Here's the screencap file info. The error says "We were unable to open file on disk" when trying to import. (This is in premiere pro)

Screen Shot 2019-06-13 at 10.43.54 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A red window also appears that says the file contains a complex edit list.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Converting through handbrake to an mp4 worked but that's just not an ideal workflow. No reason these .mov files shouldn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 07, 2019 Nov 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since these are just h.264 encoded files, just change the file extension from mov to mp4 

This worked for me every time

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 06, 2020 Feb 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! Renaming to mp4 worked great!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 25, 2020 Feb 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked flawlessly.  I can't beleive apple and adobe are this bad at what they do. 

Thanks for the help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 26, 2020 Feb 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THIS IS THE SOLUTION! This needs to be bumped up to the top. No need to download any other applications or convert your footage or any of that. Literally just rename it and add .mp4 to the end. Works everytime! Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 23, 2020 Apr 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Who would have thought this? Genius!

Keep this at the top, please. All other answers are a waste of time, just get to the point of this solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 01, 2020 May 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried this but it isn't working for me. Very frustrating!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 01, 2020 May 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Solution for me was to "Export as" the screen reccording from QuickTime with the "HEVC" box checked

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 26, 2022 Jun 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks you so much, can't believe thas work flawless

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines