• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

MacOS Screen Recording Unable to Preview/import .mov Bug?

Participant ,
Jan 09, 2019 Jan 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having an issue using macs os built in screen recorder and importing the .mov file into Adobe Rush CC.

I can create one screen recording using "shift cmd 5" and able to import the video into Premier Rush. If I capture any other screen recordings I get a "unable to preview"  in the rush file browser not able to import.

Tried restarting my computer and clearing the cache. Same results each time. The .mov files still play in Quicktime player so doesn't appear to be an issue with the screen recording file.

TOPICS
Error or problem , Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Beginner , May 20, 2019 May 20, 2019

I had the same problem and MacOS up-to-date. Solution is to "Export as" the screen reccording from QuickTime with the "HEVC" box checked.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Aug 16, 2019 Aug 16, 2019

Hi All

Thanks for reporting this issue and sorry for the hassle. This issue is caused by QuickTime adding what is called "complex edit lists" to their files. I'm not exactly sure why some files contain this information, and some do not. We're investigating how to fix it.

For now, the best workaround is the following:

1. Export a new file from QuickTime
    1. File > Export As (select your desired settings)
  2. Change the file extension from mov to mp4
  3. Use Handbrake to re-encode
    1. https://handbrake.fr/
  4. Use http://www.squared5.com/svideo/mpeg-streamclip-mac.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Aug 13, 2019 Aug 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same issue, but found a solution:

1) Open your screen recording in QuickTime

2) File > Export As

3) Select the export size (e.g. 1080p) and destination (e.g. Documents)

4) Click and drag your new .mov file into Premiere and you should be all good to go.

This is what worked for me, good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 16, 2019 Aug 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope, didn't work for me. I need to Handbrake every recording as well - tedious.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 16, 2019 Aug 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All

Thanks for reporting this issue and sorry for the hassle. This issue is caused by QuickTime adding what is called "complex edit lists" to their files. I'm not exactly sure why some files contain this information, and some do not. We're investigating how to fix it.

For now, the best workaround is the following:

1. Export a new file from QuickTime
    1. File > Export As (select your desired settings)
  2. Change the file extension from mov to mp4
  3. Use Handbrake to re-encode
    1. https://handbrake.fr/
  4. Use http://www.squared5.com/svideo/mpeg-streamclip-mac.html
    1. You can select multiple files and save to mp4

Again, sorry for the inconvenience.

Thanks,

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 08, 2019 Dec 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Surprised to see that this issue has not yet been addressed as of CC2020 — Is there any space where I can cast a vote for escalating the priority for an in-app fix for this issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 01, 2020 Apr 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this problem as well - As of April 2020.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 03, 2021 Feb 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MPEG Streamclip was last updated in 2008 and hasn't worked on MacOS since Mountain Lion. Why would this have been a suggestion, even in 2019? And are you suggesting both Handbrake AND Streamclip? Surely one would do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 15, 2023 Aug 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That numbering scheme used for the answer kind of melted my frontal cortex.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 18, 2019 Aug 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Change the name from .MOV to .MP4 and it will work

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 04, 2019 Oct 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using QuickTime or manually change each file extension is tedious, so I made a python script to fix a match of .mov files quickly.  https://github.com/lys0l/movBaker

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 22, 2019 Oct 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

GUYS JUST CHANGE THE .MOV to .MP4 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 08, 2020 Jan 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The simplest workaround I found for this issue on Premiere Pro, MacOS Catalina 10.15.2, (thanks to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXN0jMA-gxs) is to simply rename the .MOV file extension to .mp4 and then import. I hope it works the same on Premiere Rush for you. No true converting or file repair necessary. It's almost too simple. 

This short video shows you a workaround for the bug in Premiere Pro where the program only imports the audio track from .mov files. This quick workaround allows you to grab both the audio and video content.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 24, 2020 Jan 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would see Garry_Turner's solution below... much easier.

Save as from quick time and check the "Use HEVC" box... works without all the handbrake nonsense.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 06, 2020 Feb 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just renamed the .mov to .mp4 and the files imported into After Effects no problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 11, 2020 Feb 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why do I have to re-encode? This is such a hassle, I can't figure it out but thanks apple for making it not work with Rush. Jeez, what a headache.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 27, 2020 Feb 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just changing the file extension to .mp4 worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 27, 2020 Mar 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just changed the file extension to .mp4 (no reencoding, Handbrake or anything) and it allowed me to import into Premiere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 30, 2020 Mar 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Changing the file extension worked a few days ago, but didn't work today. It's extremely frustrating. I downloaded handbreak and now it works. What is going on Adobe?? Even Medial Encoder didn't work. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 09, 2020 Sep 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So the fix is to use an open source transcoder instead of the expensive Adobe tools we bought? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 13, 2020 Dec 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Believe it or not, I simply changed the extension of my screen recording files from ".mov" to ".mp4" and they imported and are working just fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines