• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premier Rush Video Playback Laggy/Jittery

New Here ,
Feb 09, 2019 Feb 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I just got rush to do some light editing before I post stuff to youtube but the video playback is so laggy/jittery that it's impossible to work with. I've got a decent computer but I can't figure out what I need to do differently to get it to work.

Computer Specs: (Let me know what else you need to know)

-Windows 10

-8th Gen i7 Processor

-Nvidia 2070 GPU

-16gb Ram

Video Specs:

-Shot on Iphone 7 (so assuming the video is 1080p)

-.MOV file

Usually use dual monitors but switched to just one to see if that'd fix it; No effect.

TOPICS
Performance , Preview

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Feb 09, 2019 Feb 09, 2019

Try setting the phone to record a sample of H.264 material and try that.

Or, if you can, convert a clip of H.265 to H.264 and try that.

HVEC is very processor intensive.

Simple test to make - may give a hint as to what is going wrong.

MtD

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What format of video are you shooting on the iPhone? H.264 or HVEC?

MtD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on IOS 12 so should be H.265

Also

-Its 11 minutes (644mb)

-Frame Rate is roughly 30fps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try setting the phone to record a sample of H.264 material and try that.

Or, if you can, convert a clip of H.265 to H.264 and try that.

HVEC is very processor intensive.

Simple test to make - may give a hint as to what is going wrong.

MtD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 10, 2019 Feb 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That did it! Thanks!!

Here's a link to the article I used if anyone needs it in the future Two Efficient Ways to Convert H.265/HEVC to H.264 on Windows or Mac

Also, does my computer just not have the right specs to be able to edit h.265? If so what specs would you reccomend? Would Adobe premier Pro be able to handle it any better? Think I'm probaby going to upgrade because I need to be ably to synch my audio and video and it doesn't seem like it's as easy with rush as it would be in Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 10, 2019 Feb 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe there is a free trial period for Premiere Pro (7 days) so you can test yourself.

I'm not a hardware expert, so don't know how to rate your system.

My general opinion is that it is still early days of H.265 and that is why Apple has an option in the Settings on the iPhone to work in H.264 as "Most Compatible".

IMG_00B5E101145B-1.jpeg

I work Mac based, and oddly enough since the latest Mac OS update, the HVEC format video works better on my machine than the H.264 material.

My other two cents is that as of right now, the visual difference between a video shot in H.264 and H.265 is not easily visually apparent, and that the true value (at this moment) is the decreased file size in an H.265 file - but this increased compression is not without cost - which throws are heavier load on the hardware of your computer.

MtD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 16, 2019 Feb 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ALWAYS use "Most Compatible."  The modes that require HEVC will still automatically use HEVC, because the iPhone only records them in HEVC.  Choosing High Efficiency forces those other modes to use HEVC, and forces HEIF Picture Capture.  The wording of the text can lead people to believe that if you want to record 4K at 60 FPS and/or 1080p at 240 FPS you have to change the toggle.  That's not the case.  The phone will simply record them only in HEVC, while doing everything else in JPEG/H.264 😉

HEVC working better on your Mac than H.264 is probably placebo.  H.264 is definitely easier to decode and encode.  Almost all hardware decoders/encoders will do H.264 faster than HEVC.  With software (CPU) decoders/encoders... the H.264 performance will, by far, dominate HEVC.

I have an Macs and PCs.  This doesn't change based on platform.  It's like saying your mac decompressed Zip files compressed with the "Archive" (minimal compression) setting slower than those compressed with "Maximum Compression" setting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 06, 2021 Mar 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

What if you are using a Nikon camera

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines