• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What exactly *is* a sequence

Community Beginner ,
Dec 06, 2018 Dec 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can someone please explain this? There seems to be zero documentation on it.

What exactly is a "Sequence" in Premiere Rush, and how are sequences intended to be used as part of a video production workflow please?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 06, 2018 Dec 06, 2018

Ok, I understand you I think.

Think of a sequence as your Master Tape. A sequence contains your timeline where you drop your video clips and perform other edits. In Premiere Rush you can have multiple sequences if you want. For example, let's say you create one sequence for your video project that's 5 minutes long. And then you want to create another video that's 30 seconds long using the same source material. You would create another sequence in your project and use the same footage from your pr

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A "Sequence" is where you place all of your individual clips and put them in order to create your finished video.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My question was "What exactly is a "Sequence" in Premiere Rush, and how are sequences intended to be used as part of a video production workflow please?"

Anyone else care to offer a more detailed and helpful answer? (since there can be any number of sequences per project)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you ever worked with video editing software before? Serious question, I'm not trying to disrespect you. It might be helpful to know so someone can help provide the answer you require.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've shot and edited videos professionally in the past on tape systems (S-VHS Pro for promotional / educational videos) and used relatively simple video editing software for casual use. Not used Premier or other high-end video editing software.

I design complex software applications for a living.

I want to know what the concept of sequences is for. Is it a way of chopping a project into less RAM hungry chunks for a better editing experience? If so, how do you assemble the sequences into one long video when you're done? (export appears to only export single sequences). If that's not the function of sequences, then what are they for?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I understand you I think.

Think of a sequence as your Master Tape. A sequence contains your timeline where you drop your video clips and perform other edits. In Premiere Rush you can have multiple sequences if you want. For example, let's say you create one sequence for your video project that's 5 minutes long. And then you want to create another video that's 30 seconds long using the same source material. You would create another sequence in your project and use the same footage from your project panel. This way you don't have to create another new project to make the new version of your video. When you start a new project in Adobe Rush it creates your first sequence for you. You can add more sequences from the File Menu but in Rush they don't work together, they are independent of each other, which means you can't combine two sequences together. They are independent "master tapes" if you will. When you export your video you will export whichever sequence is open at the time.

I hope that answer was more helpful and easy to understand. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, that makes sense.

In my case however I think I will continue to use them as separate sections of the same video - I have to, in fact, as I don't have enough RAM to work on the whole thing at once, and even if I did, the user experience would be terrible.

I remember using some kind of free joining tool last year, and will look for that to splice the final sequences into a single file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 05, 2022 Dec 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - thanks for asking this question! I have a similar RAM problem - what "free joining tool" are you using to join multiple Rush sequences? Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 30, 2023 Aug 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - so I have sequences within one project that I want to combine in Premiere Rush. Yes I've spent many years editing on different systems. But I can't find a way to add one sequence to another and so build a film. Baffling.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 31, 2023 Aug 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @jonr295rj,

Thanks for the message. Rush is not really for such workflows. You would be better off in Premiere Pro to combine multiple sequences into a single "movie." Hope the advice helps.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 29, 2023 Oct 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
  • In a screenplay, a sequence is a mini-movie, and a lot like a chapter in a novel. 
  • For Premiere Pro workflow, create a sequence for each story chapter, then create a master sequence that includes your sequences in order.
  • Having a master sequence allows you to have nice transitions between sequences, and also allows you to mix your audio in a uniform way. 
  • If you have ram or processor issues, noticeable by sluggish rendering, simply mix each sequence into its own export file, add to your library, and then use the mp4's (or whatever format) for the master track.
  • Sequences can have other mini-sequences dropped in.  For example in an animation, I made flying seagull sequences on transparent backgrounds, then dropped them into the larger sequences at different times and motion paths.
  • You don't have to use sequences, but on a large or heavy project, things can get messy otherwise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines