Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Applying a Style to a previous Style does not overwrite properly

Explorer ,
Jun 09, 2020 Jun 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RoboHelp 2019 - New UI

I have a character style applied to a word that just makes the word italic.

When I select the same word and choose to apply a different style (bold), the word becomes bold but still retains the italic.  Shouldn't the italic be removed, since the new style does not specify italic?

Note: I also selected the word and chose the "none" style in an attempt to reset both styles, but "none" was not effective. ("none" does work if I didn't attempt to reapply two different styles)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 09, 2020 Jun 09, 2020

"None" applies to paragraph styles, not inline styling. It will not touch that.

Inline styles are cumulative. Applying one should not remove the other. The editor has no way of knowing you want one only rather than both.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"None" applies to paragraph styles, not inline styling. It will not touch that.

Inline styles are cumulative. Applying one should not remove the other. The editor has no way of knowing you want one only rather than both.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've experienced this issue before too - the whole selecting "none" doesn't reset the style. Sometimes selecting another category of styles (e.g., Paragraph Styles or All Styles) and then selecting (none) from there resolves it - of course, then I need to reapply the proper paragraph style and then apply the desired character style.

Related to this (I suspect), I've also observed in a topic's code where there were remnants/references to other styles, having been applied to the same piece of text at various points (by me, intentionally, but then replaced with another style), leftover, even though they were supposedly removed and no longer apply or show in the authoring view.

Bottom line: Check the HTML code of the content at issue - you can probably clean it up in there and then apply the correct style in the authoring view, or just delete the text in the author/edit view, re-write it, and then apply the style. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Well, I would expect the same "logic" to apply when applying cumulative styles for paragraph, heading, etc. also.
I never knew different rules apply to character styles. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp