• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Autonumber "start at 1" works Online, but not always with PDF output

Explorer ,
Jun 22, 2022 Jun 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using the "autonumber" feature (in RH 2020.7.46) which works nicely for the web/online version (Frameless Studio). Numbering starts at 1, or (a) in this case ....

larryk33930191_0-1655915147272.png

However, the PDF output is hit-and-miss.  For example, the above portion in PDF output looks like this...

larryk33930191_1-1655915193465.png

It's picking up from a previous autonumber list (in a different topic and section, that ended in (s) ).  Sometimes PDF autonumbering "start at 1" works properly, but not always as you can see above.

Am I missing something? or is this probably an error that Adobe needs to fix?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 23, 2022 Jun 23, 2022

As you can see, this list starts at 1. What I am suggesting is you enter 1 where shown. I am hoping it will force the numbering in PDF output.

image.png

My site www.grainge.org includes many free Authoring and RoboHelp resources that may be of help.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jun 22, 2022 Jun 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I feel like I remember a thread on here about some problems with numbering in PDF output, but I can't currently find it. It might be worth doing a search to see if you have more luck.

Peter knows more about autonumbering than me so he might have some suggestions when he's next available (I think he's away right now).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 23, 2022 Jun 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you mean sometimes your example works and sometimes not or some instances work and others do not?

My site www.grainge.org includes many free Authoring and RoboHelp resources that may be of help.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looking through the PDF output, I see this consistent problem...

The FIRST autonumber list in each TOPIC does not start at 1.  Instead, the first list continues numbering from the last autonumber list in the previous topic. All subsequent autonumber lists in that topic correctly start at 1.

(And, it does not matter if the previous topic is in the same folder or in the previous folder.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Presumably in the first list in a topic you do not set it to start at 1 as it shows as 1 and that works in online outputs.

Try settting a first list to 1 in a topic and see what happens.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All of my autonumber lists use the same CSS style (where I set each list to start with 1).  

This correctly shows up in my content authoring view, and in the Online output.  It only fails in the PDF output.

I'm not sure what you mean by "Try settting a first list to 1 in a topic" since the CSS style already is telling it to start with 1. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As you can see, this list starts at 1. What I am suggesting is you enter 1 where shown. I am hoping it will force the numbering in PDF output.

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That seems to be working!  I hadn't noticed the manual autonumber setting there before.  Thanks Peter!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp