Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Available Conditional Build Tag Expressions

Oct 25, 2007 Oct 25, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm part of a team that works on a version control project that encompasses content across numerous business lines with a lot of shared content between them. This means that we use conditional tags quite a bit. I'm new to the group and have been playing around with the tags in the topic, previewing it, and then experimenting with different tag expressions to see what is made invisible and what remains.
But now, all of the tag expressions that I defined in the preview window while messing around are still present and I can't remove them. All of the new expressions really crowd out the standard set we use for legitimate testing and I just know this is going to piss my co-workers off.
Please, any help you can provide in undoing the useless clutter I've created would be greatly appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Oct 26, 2007 Oct 26, 2007
Hi all

Hopefully Colum will pardon my intrusion into the thread. I believe the expressions that are created are added to the ProjectName.PSS file. One easy way to get at this is to right-click any topic, choose Topic Properties, then the File tab. Now click the Open Folder button. Bingo! You are now in the general area. If your topic is inside a folder, you may need to navigate up the tree once or twice to the root of it. There you should find the PSS file.

Edit the PSS file using Windows Note...

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Aug 27, 2008 Aug 27, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the items in the "Conditional Build Tag Expression" list in the topic preview window. The expressions I'd previously defined will not go away.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you generate the help, are the expressions also showing in the dropdown there. Sorry to be labouring this but the solution has worked for everyone else so it is difficult to understand what is going wrong here.

Also are you using version control and could that be pulling something in?

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the same expressions are available when I go to generate a build from one of the layouts. I'm not using version control, so I'm not sure what could be happening....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, I see -- an expression that is saved as part of a single source layout can't be removed from the expressions available for the topic preview. I'm not sure that that's how I necessarily want it to work, but it makes sense now at least.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 28, 2008 Aug 28, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Deleting the PSS and the CPD should have removed them from both locations. Can you please clarify what happens after deleting the PSS and CPD?

Are you still seeing them in layouts?

Are you still seeing them in topic preview?
Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Deleting the PSS and CDP file deleted all build tag expressions that I had manually created in Preview mode. However, the build tag expressions that are part of a build tag (such as WebHelp, Printed Documentation, and so on) are still listed in Preview. I'm assuming Adobe figures that you'll want to be able to preview topics using the expressions that are applicable to your output, so when you save a build tag with specific expressions, the expression is added to the list automatically (thereby saving you the trouble of doing it manually).

The build tag configurations are saved in files called <build tag>.ssl, so they are not deleted when you delete the PSS and CDP file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Apologies. There is one additional step that I had forgotten. You have to go to the layouts, right click and select Properties and then set the Build Expression to None.

If you do that and Save, then there are no expressions in the layouts and they all get deleted.

If you don't do that, an SSL might have several expressions listed before you delete the PSS / CPD and afterwards it will just have whichever one was selected in the layout at the time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp