• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Browse Sequence Not Appearing in RH 2015

Explorer ,
Mar 01, 2016 Mar 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have RoboHelp 2015, 64 bit computer, Windows 8.

Software is installed in C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe RoboHelp 2015

I manually created a Browse Sequence named it, added files, etc. As a test I also created a second browse sequence and let RH create the browse sequence and set the level to zero.

I am creating Microsoft HTML help

In my Window (in Output setup) I have checked in the Tri-pane Tabs and Windows to include Browse Sequence

When I view the help file, I cannot get the Browse Sequence to appear.

I also tried creating a WebHelp (checked to include the Browse sequences in settings) and that too does not display the browse sequence. I also checked the enable browse sequence under navigation in WebHelp settings

From reading other topics, I registered (as an Admin) C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe RoboHelp 2015\Redist\x64\HHActiveX.dll. The registration succeeded, rebooted, but still no browser sequence.

Any suggestions on how to get the Browse Sequence to appear in the Microsoft HTML help?

Thank you.

Shawn

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Browse Sequences in CHM output are kind of tricksy and fraught with potential pitfalls.

Generically, you edit the window properties and ensure the Browse Sequences are configured. You report that you have done this. Good!

Next up is to ensure you have actually created at least one Browse Sequence. You also report you have done this. Good!

There are many applications that are capable of producing CHM output. And in the CHM output produced by RoboHelp, RoboHelp is rather unique among them. To the best of my knowledge, it's the only HAT that offers Browse Sequences in the way RoboHelp does it by modifying the window. This all happens because of a very special file named HHActiveX.dll. And here's where it gets kind of confusing and messy. There are two versions of this file. One for 32 bit versions of the Windows operating systems and one for the 64 bit versions of the Windows operating systems.

See, with the advent of newer computers and huge memory pools, Windows now offers two different versions of the HTML Help (CHM) viewer. A 32 bit version and a 64 bit version. Hence the need for a 32 bit version and a 64 bit version of the HHActiveX.dll file.

This HHActiveX,dll file(s) must be copied to the computer to different folders and registered with the Windows operating system so it knows how to work with it. And to muddy waters further, you can have none, only one version or both versions registered on a 64 bit system. So if perhaps it is registered for the 64 bit and not the 32, you *SHOULD* see the sequences when viewing the CHM in its 64 bit CHM viewer but it would be woefully absent if you were viewing the CHM using the 32 bit CHM viewer. So you need to ensure that you have the correct version of the DLL present and registered. (That means that if you are shipping the CHM file, you need to ensure both versions of the HHActiveX.dll are shipped along with your CHM and that they are registered on your end users' operating systems.

Here on my own PC, as I was trying to sort this, I'm seeing all manner of issues getting my HHActiveX.dll files registered. Looks like I need to ping Adobe and see what's up. You may encounter the same if you are on Windows 10. The general steps are to copy the files, then run the registry editor

Now let's turn to WebHelp output. While no special DLL is required, there are actually at least TWO (and sometimes more) places you must enable the Browse Sequences. So look at your WebHelp recipe and expand the Content Categories area on the left side. If you only have a single Content Category defined, click on the single category that should appear indented below. Then make sure the Browse sequence is enabled as shown below.

*NOTE: If you have more than one category, you need to repeat this process for each category.

tmp1.png

Likely you overlooked that step above and that should resolve the WebHelp output.

In case the place above is where you were looking, here is the second place you must enable them.

Click Navigation on the left and ensure you place a check mark in the "Enable Browse Sequence" option.

tmp2.png

Hope this helps you sort it!

Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick:

Thank you.

So if I ship Microsoft HTML help (shipping the CHM file), I need to ensure both versions of the HHActiveX.dll are shipped along with my CHM and that they are registered on the users' operating systems. This seems to have too much of a possibility of not working. Also, I cannot even see the result (using Microsoft HTML) on my computer to see what it looks like before I send it out. I'm thinking this might not be a good approach.

For WebHelp (I have one category), I do have the items you noted checked. Still no luck.Any other locations I need to turn it on? Anything else I'm missing?

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Shawn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So your browse sequences are indeed present. You likely just are unaware of how they appear in WebHelp.

Check the image below:

tmp1.png

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick:

Got it. You are correct that I was unaware how they appear in WebHelp. Thank you.

However, when I created a browse sequence manually (did not let RH auto create), it does not appear. The arrows are grayed out. I scrolled through my TOC and I cannot see Test Links. I'm still missing something.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

If I let RH create a few browse sequences along with the one created manually, I still cannot see the manual one but the arrows are enabled. Also, does the name of the browse sequence appear in the TOC so a user can select what browse sequence they want to use? Do I somehow add the browse sequence to the TOC and order it?

Again, thank you for your help.

Shawn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again

Okay, the elves have been busy today. For the CHM part, if you are still interested, I put together a video that shows you how to locate, copy and register the HHActiveX.dll files.

Click here to view

Perhaps you need to know more about how the Browse Sequences actually work. Apologies if you already knew any of this.

Let's say you have topics that are based on the alphabet. You have a topic A, topic B, topic C and so on all the way to Z.

Now ALL those topics aren't in a Browse Sequence. Perhaps you only have topics E, F and G that are in a Browse Sequence. If that's the case, when any topic other than E, F or G is being presented to the viewer, both the sequence buttons will be disabled and unable to be clicked. But if topic E is presented, you have a sequence that moves from E to F, so the Next button is enabled. And if you click it, BOTH buttons will be enabled because the sequence is E to F and F to G. So you could click the back button to move back to topic E or the forward button to move to topic G. And once you hit topic G, the forward button would be disabled or inactive because you hit the end of the sequence. The previous or back button should be available in this case as you CAN click and go from G back to F.

Does this help?

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Rick:

Thank you and appreciated the video.

I had only registered the 64 bit version of the HHActiveX.dll file (in place). I was not aware I had to also register the 32 bit version (which I did register in place). I then rebooted. I'm assuming there was no need to copy the files first to register. Unfortunately I cannot get it to work. I see the glossary but no browse sequence for the CHM part.

For  the WebHelp, I misunderstood the use so your explanation was very useful. I thought I would select (as in the CHM) the sequence and just navigate through the files included in the sequence. Your explanation helped very much on how I could make it work in the manner I want to. Thank you again.

You have been very helpful and I appreciate all your time and effort.

Shawn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp