Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Build time in Robohelp 8

New Here ,
Mar 23, 2009 Mar 23, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I've been playing around with the trial version of RH8 before making the upgrade from version 7, and after importing my project the main thing I've noticed is that it takes a lot longer to generate my primary layout (webhelp), and it seems to be spending most of it's time building the search...

I can see that the search facility has been greatly modified and it looks better, but it does seem to take a long long time to generate builds in this version... roughly 30 mins where it was 5 mins or less in v7.

My project has around 700 pages, and have not yet assigned any of the new "search keywords" (just added one to test it out)... Windows XP SP2 (I know!! corporate managed environment!!), Core 2 Duo 1.8GHz, 1GB RAM, running from C drive, not in source control...

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Feb 19, 2010 Feb 19, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

Please can you advise what the Re-publish all button is for and when it should be used?

Are you saying that it should normally be unchecked?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 19, 2010 Feb 19, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It should be used when you want to republish all topics.

I am not saying it should be ticked or unticked as that is your call.

• Unticked RH only publishes changed topics so there is less to upload to the server meaning the time taken to publish is reduced.
  • Ticked all topics get uploaded regardless of whether they have changed. It can be useful if you are seeing a topic on the server that is not the latest but for some reason RH is not seeing it as changed so is not updating it.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 08, 2010 Jun 08, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

sorry for digging up this old topic. But I actually have the same issue with the generation in RH 8.

In RH 7 it took approximately 130 seconds in RH8 it takes forever 60 minutes plus.

But now comes the interesting thing. On my boss Laptop, which is even better then mine the above behavior happened.

On my PC though, it just takes the 130 seconds, which I find pretty strange.

When we use another machine it also takes ~ an hour. . So far I am the only one in the team for whom the generation is working  in a normal amount of time. The major difference is, that I never had RH 7 installed on my PC and  the other systems had.

It also stuck's for generating the Full-Text Search but nothing of the above mentioned steps provided any help.

Did anyone of you manage to fix this issue? Because the main machine for generating the layouts is not working properly and it is not a workable option to have the generation takes forever.

Short Information to the Project:

• ~200 Pages
  • 60 MB in Size
  • Mixture of htm, pdf and word files
  • Limited amount of DHTML

Any help to this issue would be highly appreciated.

Thanks and best Regards

Christian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 09, 2010 Jun 09, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try deleting the CPD file and then opening RH.

Have you applied the patches? If not I would do that before doing anything else. See the Sticky Topics in this forum.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 18, 2010 Feb 18, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't tell us what you have tried from what has already been suggested.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 10, 2010 Jun 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

I actually found a partly solution for this. On the machines where the generation didn't work I excluded all embedded documents from the indexing functionality by modifying the respective XML file in the program directory.

Though that still doesn't explain why it is working on my laptop but on no other machine.

Thanks for the hints though, unfortunately they didn't fix that. Only the excluding of the office and PDF file formats resulted in a normal generation time.

Best Regards

Christian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp