Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Buttons no longer working after upgrade to RH 2020

Contributor ,
Feb 17, 2021 Feb 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Everyone.

I've been testing out the free trial of RH 2020 (2020.3.32; frameless). To do this, I've upgraded a project from RH 2019 (new UI, 2019.0.14; frameless). 

After the upgrade, my three buttons no longer work. They seem dormant -- not responding to clicks in any way. (The other 3 buttons, in the right panel, do work.) I've checked the configurations of the filter button in the output preset. Seems no settings have changed.

Any advice for me? Thank you!

buttons stopped working.PNG

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 17, 2021 Feb 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd add a new skin and see if the buttons work when you generate with that.

If they do, then I'd compare the button setup in the Topic Page Buttons tab of the skin with the code in your skin to see if they're different.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 19, 2021 Feb 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the troubleshooting steps, Amber.

I regret to report that the buttons still don't work, even with a new skin.

Any other ideas?

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 21, 2021 Feb 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you try with one of the sample projects and see if the problem also occurs with one of them? If it does, that might suggest an installation problem.

If it only occurs in your project, that would suggest some problem in your project, although I'm not sure what.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 22, 2021 Feb 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the additional troubleshooting, Amber.

I've tried opening both RH 2020 sample projects. Neither one would open. I'd only get the "restart" error (see screenshot).

RH 2020 is able to open the project I've upgraded from RH 2019. But not either of the two sample projects.

What can I do next? Thank you!

SCREENSHOT:

Error - RH 2020 sample projects.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess the first question is whether you have applied the updates to 2020 since installing it.

The 2020 sample projects should open without issue so with updates applied and having tried to restart RoboHelp and open the project again behind you, if it is still failing I would be thinking about uninstalling and reinstalling. You will need to apply the updates again or go to Adobe - Support : RoboHelp Support Center : Service Releases and grab the Update 3 installer from there.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Peter. I haven't installed any updates. (I'm currently on 2020.3.32 -- is that the most current version?)

I'm gonna have to get IT to install updates / uninstall & reinstall. Will do so and report back.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is the latest but it certainly sounds as if something is wrong. I would be trying to fix opening the samples as they definitely should work. 

Try again when they work.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very good, I'll work on that with an uninstall / reinstall.

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 11, 2021 Mar 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did reinstalling RoboHelp work?

We had the same problem after updating two months ago but then we changed all outputs to the new Studio skin, adapted the buttons to our needs, and it's working fine now.

Editing the buttons is still a bit tricky but has improved from 2019.0.14.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, gb92818477.

Thanks very much for your reply. The uninstall/reinstall did not solve my problems. 

HOWEVER, I've taken your suggestion and replaced my skin with the Studio skin. And the buttons work in this new skin

I've reported this to Adobe TCS support. My issue is still unresolved. I don't want to use the Studio skin. I want to use the Oceanic skin that I've put untold work hours into configuring.

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@martinl83372021 Have you managed to open the sample projects yet and are you trying to open the copies that are in the Documents folder? If they will not open you have to fix that first.

When that is fixed, create a new project. Export the skin you want from your old project and save it somewhere. Import it into the new project. Does it work then.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, good troubleshooting ideas, thanks, Peter!

Re. the sample projects, I'm trying to open them here:

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe RoboHelp 2020\resources\data\template\projects\Compass Travel

That's where Adobe Tech Support told me to find them. Should I look for them in the Documents folder?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You got someone who should have known better. Those copies are so that you can replace the copies in Documents if you screw them up. That should have been explained to you. 

Windows itself protects Programs so that it is only used for the correct purpose.

Copy them from there into Documents and try again. Please confirm they then work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should find you already have copies in Documents > My RoboHelp Projects. Try them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Peter. I did have to copy them to the Documents folder. I didn't have any there, already.

I've now opened both RH 2020 sample projects.

I've also created a new project and exported my preferred skin from my RH 2019 project. However, I've tried to import that skin. I keep getting the "restart RH" error. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't read through again but I think you said the skin was OK until you upgraded. Is the skin in the test project from 2020 where you know there is a problem or a 2019 version. 

Maybe you need to COPY a backup and open it in 2019 and check it works there. If it does, export the skin and save it somewhere, we may need that later. 

Assuming the copy worked, upgrade again and see what happens.

You could also try the skin in the About RoboHelp sample project. 

Post back when you have done all that. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The working skin is from my RH 2019 project (new UI). 

I'll work through your troubleshooting steps tomorrow. But I wanted to report one thing before I forget. I've changed skins several times (this is in my upgraded project, in RH 2020):

• The buttons do work in Studio
  • The buttons do not work in Orange or Oceanic (nor in my customized Oceanic from 2019)

Lastly for today, although I reported earlier that importing my skin resulted in the "restart" error, I now see that the imported skin is sitting there in the skins panel. I will try it out tomorrow.

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First thing for tomorrow is just create a new Oceanic skin (call it Oceanic2) and try with that to see if the buttons work.

If they do, report back and ignore the rest. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 12, 2021 Mar 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great news - I've created the new Oceanic skin and generated output with it. The buttons work!!

So I guess now I'll just re-create the settings from my original Oceanic in the new one and stick with it?

Thank you!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 12, 2021 Mar 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whoa! Whilst you might have to recreate all, try examing the properties of both in the skin editor. 

I'm guessing you could start by looking at the buttons that are not working to see if you can find a difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 17, 2021 Mar 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, makes sense to try to compare the settings and see if I can fix my original skin.

Will try and report back. Thank you, Peter!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Peter Grainge  Hi Peter.

Does it matter which "button numbers" I use to configure my buttons? 

I ask b/c I've found a difference between the settings of my customized Oceanic_200513 and a brand new copy of Oceanic. (Please see screenshot 1.) 

SCREENSHOT 1

button 4 not 2.PNG

In Oceanic_200513, I don't remember why, but I've configured Button 4 as my "Expand all" button. (I've skipped over Button 2 and Button 3, which are not used for anything.)

Oceanic_2 does not skip over any buttons. It uses Button 2 as the "Expand all" button (see screenshot 2). Do you think that's made any difference?

SCREENSHOT 2

button 2.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Possibly as the supplied buttons are configured with certain settings. Why would you configure your own Expand All when one is supplied? I believe what is supplied calls certain functions that you would not know about. Compare ALL the settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

BTW I unmarked what you had set as the correct answer. It is not an answer, it was a suggestion as to what to do next.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp