• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I publish RoboHelp files as pages on a website?

Community Beginner ,
Jul 01, 2020 Jul 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not a RoboHelp expert -- I'm trying to update our website.

I want to retain my websites global navigation while the visitor access the RoboHelp generated help files.

The current solution being used takes the visitor completely out of the website experience while they view the help files.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Aug 31, 2020 Aug 31, 2020

I figured out what would work best for me...

1. Publish using ResponsiveHTML5
  2. Modify the home page (index.htm by default) and topic.htm with the necessary changes for a global header/footer/nav
  3. With future updates, never overwrite (or re-update) those 2 files.

Modifications (for both index.htm and topic.htm)

So far I've made the modifactions necessary when the page doesn't narrow, i.e. desktop.

Insert your header code between <div class="header" role="banner"...> and <div class="header-project-info">

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jul 02, 2020 Jul 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using 2019 New UI and a frameless skin, each page has a unique URL as you can see in the RoboHelp Tour but it's still full screen. Not really my area but could you do something so the pages appear within some DIV tags so that what you see is contained within something keeping the appearance of your site?

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the idea.

Due to the unique URL per page (which is great for direct links and bookmarks), I can't embed the pages into the site directly.

I was thinking there must be some capability to add includes for code (security/sign-in) and site header/footer. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to find master pages.

“A master page is a template for HTML topics. You can define the placeholders for header, footer, and topic. You can include breadcrumbs, Mini TOC, snippets, variables, fields, and symbols. You can also apply condition tags to a master page.”

”A snippet can be a para­graph of text, a piece of code, an object such as an image, or an entire topic itself.”

Does anyone have experience using master pages for this purpose?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A master page wouldn't help, I don't think, as that is designed to affect the topic content, not the skin of the help.

The only thing I can think of is if your website admins create a page with an iframe where the page content would normally be, that links to the help index.htm file from Robohelp. That should theoretically display the help within your website branding. But I haven't tried it and am not sure of the implications of doing so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 08, 2020 Jul 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply!

Because the help pages themselves need their own URL, I don't see how inserting into an iframe would work. The first link clicked within the docs would take it out of the iframe.

I can't be the only one that has ever tried to do this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Relative URL rather than absolute?

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All of the internal links within the help file are relative unless you change  them, so if the iframe links to the index.htm file, then all your navigation within the help file should remain inside the iframe.

Unless you actually mean you want context sensitive help for a web application?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 31, 2020 Aug 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I figured out what would work best for me...

1. Publish using ResponsiveHTML5
  2. Modify the home page (index.htm by default) and topic.htm with the necessary changes for a global header/footer/nav
  3. With future updates, never overwrite (or re-update) those 2 files.

Modifications (for both index.htm and topic.htm)

So far I've made the modifactions necessary when the page doesn't narrow, i.e. desktop.

Insert your header code between <div class="header" role="banner"...> and <div class="header-project-info">

* RoboHelp does allow for a global header of sort, but the changes are limited. I opted to exclude those, and roll my own.

The default footer just had a copyright, so I removed it, and inserted my own footer instead.

<div class="frontpage-footer footer" role="contentinfo" data-html="@KEY_LNG.Copyright">My footer code here</div>

If you want left navigation, it takes a bit more work, but possible.

Assuming you want that left nav to be the entire page, you need to force the header over.

1. Return to <div class="header" role="banner"...> and add style="margin-left:110px !important;"
    The width is of your choosing of course.
  2. Add a new <div> section above the header with your navigation code.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp