• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can’t frame graphic files (newbie)

New Here ,
Dec 08, 2020 Dec 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I am on my first Project...(Windows 10 v. 

Type: Software Documentation. 3 audiences, 1) End User  2)Developers, and 3) Investors.

The workflow is new to me.

I set up a dozen topics (that look like chapters in mind)

I imported 10-15 graphics files - Initially, I just drug and dropped from my screen shot program (SnagIt). or from the finder. All the graphics show up in the various Topics.

When I select a graphic, it seems it is not being recognized as a graphic in Author, Properties, General. There is no options for frame, color weight etc.

Adobe Support said I would have to import the graphics via the "Insert Image (Ctrl+G)" dialog for RH to properly recognize the graphics... I tried reimporting the graphics with the dialog box, sourcing the files from my project's asset folder(s). - The graphics are PNG files and look like they import fine.. Yet I am still unable to select the graphic and get the frame options to appear...... Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions? The only thing I see in the General settings that may pertain to the graphic is the option to use thumbnails, but when I do, nothing happens...

Regards,

hevans

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Robohelp isn't an image manipulation program, so most manipulation would need to be done in your graphics program, then you'd use the final image in your help. You can only add CSS and HTML properties to images, not manipulate the image directly.

If by "frame" you mean "border" then you can add a border around an image. It is limited to CSS properties, so you can't do fancy picture frames or anything. 'Colour weight' isn't something you can do in RH, that would be in your graphics program.

You should see something like this when clicking on an image (this is RH2019 New UI). The General tab will make the change only to the selected image. If you want to set up formatting to apply to every image, or regularly apply to selected images, then you need to create a style in your stylesheet. You can do this from the Styles tab. 

Amebr_0-1607482246565.png

If you don't see something like this, post a screenshot of what you do see and we can perhaps help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The screen shot you posted is exactly what I see - however, earlier today, working with Adobe support - the support person was able to put a box (frame) around the graphic and had access to - and this was in the General tab.... but I have never been able to get that panel back... 

Hugh5E06_0-1607488586363.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 09, 2020 Dec 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select the graphic in the topic, and then, on the right, select "Properties" at the top.

Below the basic properties (source, alt, title, etc), you will see several expandable/collapsable sections (Attributes, Alignment, Border (← that's the one you need top expand), Layout, Page Break, and Background.

In section "Border", you can define that:

Stefan-Gentz_0-1607502306266.png

That said:

Imagine that you have 200 graphics. And you define a border for each one. You spend a lot of time on that. Finally done, you proudly present the result to your managment. Answer: We don't like the borders. Can you remove them? Alternatively: Can you make all borders thinnner/ thicker, red, green, whatever?

Can you already feel the pain? 😉

Better create one or multiple css classes for your images like "photos", "screenshots", and "illustrations" with RoboHelp's CSS editor. Then define everything you need to style your images in these classes. Now you can simply assign the class to the image (Select graphic, > Properties panel, > General > Attributes). As easy as one click for each graphic.

And if you need to change a property, just do it in the CSS. And, Adobecadabra, it will magically be applied to all 200 images automatically.

Now, when your mgmt asks you to change all borders, you have the choice: Either tell them, that it will take you a whole day to change that for 200 images (and then change it in a minute as described above) and take the rest of the day off, or tell them that you can do it in a minute and because you're the pro, and get the credits 😉

Cheers!

________

NOTE: In the HTML/CSS world it's not called "frame", but "border". A "frame" is something completely different in HTML.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Expand the Border option you can see towards the bottom of my screenshot. 

Select a Style, Colour and Width to get the border around the outside of your image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But that's my issue, I do not see the options.. Basically a single attribute that is not useful to me??? Where are the options?

hevans

2020-12-09_0-25-03.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Collapse the Attributes section and take a screenshot of the whole application window so we can see everything that you see.

Also post the full Robohelp version number. You can find it under the Help menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Below the basic properties (source, alt, title, etc), you will see several expandable/collapsable sections (Attributes, Alignment, Border (← that's the one you need to expand), Layout, Page Break, and Background."

I do not see the expandable, collapsable selections my graphic........ The graphic is selected....

screenhot.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using the latest RoboHelp - 3.32

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check my comments in the screenshot:

Stefan-Gentz_1-1607540009378.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Versions start 2019/2020 followed by the update number then the build. All that's needed here is the version and update number. 3.32 could in theory be 2019 or 2020 although I do know 3.32 is 2020. Best to post where with the version and update only.

Immediately below your right pointing arrow is the word Attributes. If you click that it will contract. You can leave it as is and scroll down to see the other sections.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its version 2020 

2.png1.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 10, 2020 Dec 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

OK, working with support,

we reinstalled RoboHelp.... Problem continued.

wiped system, reinstalled Windows 10 ... reinstalled RoboHelp and missing tools/options appeared.

Then we checked the original failure to generate a .PDF error... and this error came back

We then installed a new Java JDK and re mapped the .pdf file location in the registry.

Restarted RoboHelp and everything worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 10, 2020 Dec 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is what you should be seeing with an image selected.

image.png

Drag and drop is fine, you do not have to use the photo icon but if you are not seeing the same as above with an image selected then something is wrong with your installation.

Was it installed to the default location and was it installed by someone with admin rights?

I would try uninstalling and reinstalling. You will not lose your project(s).

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp