Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't import multiple Word documents 2020 RoboHelp Release

New Here ,
May 18, 2021 May 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

We have a file setup consisting of multiple sub-folders of Word documents left from when we were using RoboHelp Classic. Now, when I try to import as a Word document, it will only allow me to select one file at a time for import. If I import them as files, I can select multiple but it doesn't recognise them as readable or editable files once they're in RoboHelp.

Is this part of the new release, or am I simply doing the process wrong? All the older guides to importing Word documents simply say to select multiple files, which I can't do. Any help is appreciated, we have a couple of hundred Word docs to import. 

TOPICS
New UI

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 18, 2021 May 18, 2021

Once you link them you need to tell RH to create the topics for you. 

I'm not entirely sure I have this exactly right as I don't use the linking feature, but playing with some test files I found these options to create the topics in RH.

* Right-click on a specific Word document and select Create/Update

* Right-click on a folder, then select Word Documents > Update All

You can't edit the Word docs within Robohelp. In Classic you could right-click and select Edit, but that doesn't appear to wo

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What point version of RH2020 are you running? The Word import may have been tweaked in one of them (can't definitively say because I don't use Word imports).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's version 2020.4.173

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, that's the most current (as of May 2021) - I'd check inside the About RH sample project & check out Peter's site (grainge.org) - he may have new info on that subject in his RH2020 Tour.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I haven't found anything yet but will keep looking. Any idea if there's a requirement to import Word docs as Word docs rather than just as files? If I could import/link them as regular files that would be fine as well, they just don't seem to get recognised properly when they appear in the project 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you importing them as a one off task or do you want them linked so your help topics update when you update the Word documents?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would prefer to link them. I had tried that initially, but was getting the same problem where they appear in the contents bar but can't be opened/viewed/edited as you can see below. So my next attempt was just to import them because that was working (at least one by one).  RoboHelp Linked Word Files.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Once you link them you need to tell RH to create the topics for you. 

I'm not entirely sure I have this exactly right as I don't use the linking feature, but playing with some test files I found these options to create the topics in RH.

* Right-click on a specific Word document and select Create/Update

* Right-click on a folder, then select Word Documents > Update All

You can't edit the Word docs within Robohelp. In Classic you could right-click and select Edit, but that doesn't appear to work in RH2019 (and iIassume RH 2020). If you need to edit the Word files you need to right-click and select Show in Explorer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Oh great, that's worked now, thankyou! I thought I must be missing a step, or other people would have brought this up earlier. Much appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp