• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot add front matter or back matter to PDF (Robohelp 2019)

New Here ,
Sep 29, 2021 Sep 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - I am new to RoboHelp, and I cannot figure out how to add front matter and/or back matter to my Table of Contents. I need to generate a PDF with a TOC in the front matter, but nothing seems to work. 

I have read a bunch of threads, but I don't have any of the options available to me. Perhaps there is something off with my license and/or configuration? I'm running 2019.0.5. 
These are the options I see:

Jenn98BC_0-1632946522049.png

Any help is appreciated; thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think that is an online TOC.  Either create a book TOC or right click your existing one and change the properties.

See the 2019 TOC topic in the RoboHelp Tour on my site. 

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The online help for New UI is only for the latest released version, not the version that's installed on a PC. As of today that is RH2020.6.

I think in RH2019, you need to open the output preset and tick the Include Table of Contents checkbox to get a table of contents page in your PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 13, 2021 Oct 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the responses. 

I don't have the options that Peter Grainge is referring to above; this may not be in my version. But I was able to get the TOC to generate based on Amebr's tip... only problem is that it has just the index entry (no entry for any other topics). 

Do the topics need to have a specific heading level? Or is there a way to specify which headings make up the TOC? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 13, 2021 Oct 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I saw Front and Back Matter and automatically my mind went to 2020. That is only in 2020.

First I would update 2019 to Update 14 to rule out that being an issue.

The topics you see should be from the TOC is you selected in the preset. Are you saying there is only the index and no topics?

This topic explains creating a PDF output in 2019. RH2019 PDF Output (grainge.org)

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 18, 2021 Oct 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, it seems that I cannot run the Update function on my computer due to some issues with software versions. I think this is a reported issue... but hopefully I can get Update 14 and try out your suggestions some time soon. 

But yes, the only entry in the TOC is for the Index. All other headings aren't showing up. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the only reported download issue was with RH2020.

But in case of other issues, you can manually download RH2019 updates here:  https://www.adobe.com/support/robohelp/downloads.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 20, 2021 Oct 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have downloaded Update 14, but I still get an error when I try to install it. 

Jenn98BC_1-1634750975870.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another idea for the topics not showing in the table of contents. Is the first heading in your topics a H1? Or are you using a custom style?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 19, 2021 Oct 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using a custom style... I actually imported all of the content from
FrameMaker, so all of the defined styles are custom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 19, 2021 Oct 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the pdf toc might only pick up the h1 - h7 styles.

I defined a test style p.MyStyle and made it 20pt and blue, and the pdf did not include it in the TOC. I couldn't see any other options in the output preset that might affect it.

Are you importing from Framemaker regularly or was this a once off import? If it's a regular import, you could check the mapping options and see if you can map the custom style to a heading style in RH. I don't use FM, so I'm not sure what the options are.

If it was a once off import, I think you'll have to manually change every topic to use a heading style.

Or upgrade to RH2020.6, which I think allows you to create the pdf toc based on the RH toc. If you have access to a second PC you could download the trial and test if this works for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are six true headings in HTML. <h1>–<h6>: The HTML Section Heading elements - HTML: HyperText Markup Language | MDN (mozilla.org)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whoops, yes, h1 - h6. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did we establish that you're using RH2019 in Classic mode or the New UI mode? When you import from FM, you should have the option to import the FM TOC into RH or build one in RH based on the resulting topics.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried re-importing the FM project and playing with the setting - the issue was definitely because I didn't have it mapped to the correct styles. Thanks everyone for all your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have admin rights on your PC?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do have Admin rights, and I have already tried the AASlapp.exe fix. 

Not sure what's up, but IT has already made sure this machine is up to date. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'd give the RH folks a buzz - see https://helpx.adobe.com/contact/enterprise-support.other.html#robohelp for your Adobe Support options. I'd recommend using the tcssup@adobe.com e-mail address as it reaches a team dedicated to Technical Communication Suite products including RoboHelp.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp