• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot read document. Make sure that the document is closed.

New Here ,
Jan 22, 2020 Jan 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am getting an error that says "Cannot read document. Make sure that the document is closed." when trying to create a topic from linked DOC.

TOPICS
Classic

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 23, 2021 Apr 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am doubtful the links are the issue. There are other ways of sending large documents but if you cannot share this one, that becomes academic. It just makes it difficult to help you.

Create two copies of the document and then delete different halves of the document in each. Create a new project for this test with just its default.css. Try importing one half and then the other half. Do both work or neither? If neither try splitting one of the halves again.

Just because another document will import doesn't mean something is not locking this one. Personally I would reboot as so many times it has fixed issues but if you don't want to...

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I appreciate your reply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let us know how you get on. I would like to help more but it's difficult without seeing the possible causes.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 25, 2021 Apr 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i was reviewing some content on my site and came across an old item that may be relevant. One person found that a Classic version of RoboHelp froze when the document being imported had pending track changes in it. It might be worth checking this document does not have pending changes.

Please let us know if that does prove to be the cause.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 26, 2021 Apr 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter, my name is Joe and I am having the same error as karen7673 and others. I'm using RoboHelp 2020.4.173 (the trial edition) and my document has been edited using Word 2016. I've tried: the rebooting; removing the TOC; removing the links is not an option (too many); Tracking is off with all changes accepted. The Department of Defense is requiring us to update to this RoboHelp version to correct a security issue. I've been trying everything to import this document, but I am not getting off to a good start. Are there any tracking/logging items to look at (or turn on) to determine the cause of this generic can't read error. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is your document in DOCX format and can you share the project? If you can, then see the Contact page on my site and send the project as instructed there. Do make sure you include a link to this thread and please do not email the project direct.

Once I have a document that is giving this problem, hopefully I can find out why.

Otherwise I can only point you to Support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found my problem. My document had a table in it. In one of the columns there was a TAB followed immediately by a LF character (see attachment). After removing all 3 TABs, the document processed through!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for posting that. Here's the image inline using the picture icon.

image.png

It will be interesting to see if that helps the others with this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 27, 2021 Apr 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

Here are some suggestions that can be tried in case of this error:

1. Make any edit in the word document and save the document. Then try importing the document again. The reason to do so is there might be some syntax errors in the word document which can get resolved by word by saving it again.

2. There might be some problematic syntax in word which is still not supported by RH. Do reduce the document in half trick as suggested by Peter to identify that. If you find such cases, feel free to report it so that we can fix that in future releases. 

Note: Try the second step only after you have tried the first step. Usually saving should fix the issue. 

Things that shouldn't affect: Links, images, changing docx->doc etc. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 29, 2021 Apr 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue. I am wondering if it has an issue with custom templates and/or multi-level lists.

• I took a blank MS Word 2013 document and added some text. Heading and body styles were applied using the available MS Word styles. Numbered and Bulleted lists were applied using the available buttons in Word. This document imported into Robohelp 2020.4.173
  • I created a new MS Word 2013 document using our custom template. Our custom templates are setup in Word so numbered list will automatically restart after using Heading 1, 2 3 or 4. This is accomplished by definding a  multi-level list in Word (see image below). All items were styled using our custom styles. This document did not import into Robohelp.
  • I took some old documents based off our old templates. Numbered lists will not automaticfally restart after using Heading 1, 2, 3 or 4. This document imported into Robohelp.

In this situation, it appears that the failed import has to do with the the multi-level lists that were created.

Multilist.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 29, 2021 Apr 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Ken Hollern Are your files in DOCX format? They must be for 2020.

I don't think the multi-level list should prevent import but the dialog has some list settings so try changing them.

If that doesn't help, can you share that document so that I can try it? If you can, then see the Contact page on my site and attach the document to an email in this case. I don't need the project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 30, 2021 Apr 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have referred the problem to Adobe as Ken's document can be imported into Update 1. I will update this thread when I know more.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 28, 2021 Sep 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m having the same issue.

Documents changed to docx several years ago and close to 200 pages. They were originally written about a decade ago using a word template from 2005 creating a doc.

These worked in RoboHelp10 using of course word 2010. The last time they were convert was last year in the spring. I did try that version of the documents, but still not able to open. I was forced to upgrade to RoboHelp 2020 do to various reason due to a reimage of the work laptop; so I can't use RoboHelp10.

RoboHelp 2020 (Version 2020.4.173) using word 2016, cannot open the 2 documents. I did try creating a simple word docx from scratch and RoboHelp could import that; so there seems to be an issue with the documents.

I am trying cutting the file down; but with almost 200 pages including images, tables, links, etc. that will take time and all the information is needed.

I can send one of the files to Adobe to analyze.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 28, 2021 Sep 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is a group mostly supported by other users. If you want support from Adobe you need to see https://helpx.adobe.com/contact/enterprise-support.other.html#robohelp for your Adobe Support options. The email link tcssup@adobe.com is recommended as it reaches a team dedicated to Technical Communication Suite products including RoboHelp. 

The first thing I would try though is updating RoboHelp.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp