The help file I open from my PC displays the Search pane correctly. When we publish on the public Internet page, however, it changes the interface to this:
Can this be fixed?
This looks like WebHelp, right? What browser are you using and does using a different one change anything?
Yes, this is WebHelp. I have opened it in IE, Chrome, and Firefox and it does the same thing.
Given it's all browsers, but it works when run locally, I'd say it's something to do with your web server and you'll need to get your web admin to help.
Which skin are you using? Also please add an image showing the same shot as above but locally.
How does the help get onto the server? It wouldn't be the first time we have seen the developers decide not everything is needed.
Oops. Sorry for jumping in Jeff. Same conclusion if it looks right locally.
We upload the help output to a source file control system and Dev picks up the help files.
Compared the files in the last release that the search worked correctly for against this one and found a bunch of search .js files missing. Added those in and it still doesn't work. Any other ideas?
Adding old stuff in will not necessarily fix it. You have to get all you generated onto the site. Not some of it new and some from an older version.
If it works locally, the issue is what is on the server or the configuration of the server. If that was working, it points to something you generated this time not getting to the server.
Maybe rename the folder on the server to keep it there and upload a whole fresh output.
Source control might also be causing issues. I don't know how you're managing the source control for output, but I can imagine a few scenarios that might cause issuse. For example, maybe you check out the output folder manually, generate, then check in the folder. But perhaps with a new version of RH there are some new js files that need to be manually added to source control.
As a test, you could copy your local output to a network drive and ask the developer to get that. That would ensure source control wasn't contributing to the issue.