Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Clean code and span tags (RH 2020)

Contributor ,
May 14, 2021 May 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Everyone.

I'm avoiding inline styling and trying to keep clean code, in general. But I don't really have HTML skills. 

Somehow, I've produced some text in RH 2020.4.173 that has two things I did not intend:  white space between paragraphs and lots of span tags. (Please see screenshots.)

SCREENSHOT 1

white space betw grafs and span span span.PNG

SCREENSHOT 2

white space betw grafs and span span span HTML.PNG

I've copied-and-pasted the text from a MS Word file first into Notepad, then from Notepad into RH 2020. Shouldn't that have stripped the copied text of any inline styling?

Also, the dropdown header in Screenshot 3 shows span tags in the breadcrumbs, but not in code view (Screenshot 4). What's the story there?

SCREENSHOT 3

Dropdown header span span span.PNG

SCREENSHOT 4

Where are the spans.PNG

Thank you for any help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 14, 2021 May 14, 2021

Pasting into Notepad, then from Notepad into RH should indeed have stripped out formatting. Did you have to re-format your text when you pasted into RH? If not, then I don't think the copy from Notepad worked properly, and you actually pasted the Word content somehow.

Regarding the spans, without trying it myself, my guess would be that the spans represent the tags in the dropdown content. Try deleting the spans in a section of content and see if they go away.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pasting into Notepad, then from Notepad into RH should indeed have stripped out formatting. Did you have to re-format your text when you pasted into RH? If not, then I don't think the copy from Notepad worked properly, and you actually pasted the Word content somehow.

Regarding the spans, without trying it myself, my guess would be that the spans represent the tags in the dropdown content. Try deleting the spans in a section of content and see if they go away.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems to me that your "Notepad trick" should have worked for you. I just did the same thing and it did work for me. So, I can't offer anything but a shoulder shrug on that one.

What I can offer is a suggestion for another way to get where you are trying to go while saving a step. Try pasting from Word to RH by using the shortcut CTRL+SHIFT+V (rather than just CTRL+V); this does a paste without formatting, so you shouldn't have any span tags. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In 2020 you can select text and go to Content Properties (top right) and click the Clear Formatting icon. Make sure it hasn't had unwanted effects before you save.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I bet you're right, Amber -- I bet I did accidentally paste the Word text into RH. This was one in a long line of copy/pastes. I could easily have flubbed this one.

Hi, AthensSlim, and thank you for the Ctrl+shift+V tip. I love it!

Thank you, Both!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, Peter, cool trick. Will try it out!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp