Hello all. We're using RH 2017 (the latest build). We have a large merged help system in a HTML5 responsive output.
F1 in English on the one of our dialog boxes gives me this URL initially in my browser's address bar:
...which correctly resolves into this and shows the topic:
F1 in our non-English versions of our product on the same dialog box (in this case Italian) gives me this:
... but it never resolves to show the topic. It just stays stuck at:
Where in the generated output is context mapping controlled so I can verify it's in place?
Thoughts on how to resolve this?
Thanks in advance!
Copy link to clipboard
Well this is indeed strange. When I came into the office this morning, I tried the above Italian, and this time it worked, and the web-server showed the correct topic. But I didn't change anything. I then tested all the 16 langauges we support. Thankfully most are behaving as expected now. But I find it strange that they suddenly started working on their own. I have seen similar things happen with Search in HTML5 where the Search feature does nothing for a few days once I upload a big project to our azure web server. Then after a couple of days it'll start working. I wonder if the same thing is happening here.
Anyway, we still have these 3 languages where F1 mapping doesn't resolve to show the topic. It just sits on this passed URL from the application. I don't know if it's a problem or if it really is just another case of waiting a couple of more days and trying again:
I don't use context sensitive help at the moment, but have had issues with changes to the TOC. There's some caching issue, I think, that might be a web server thing rather than a RH thing. My feeling is with caching of js files by the server, but haven't had access to a web server manager to help troubleshoot.
I think the csh file you are looking to confirm is <your project output>/whxdata/csh.js. (This is for RH11 Responsive, but I expect it should be similar for RH2017.)
Thanks Amebr. I'll dig down that direction.
As a test, I compared the csh.js from the good English against the csh.js from the above Czech, and they're identical. I expected that of course since the English RH project was used as a base for the localized .htm files.
I also cleared out my browser's cache to our site and it still didn't work. As far as I can tell the context mapping content is in place in these languages, so I'm not sure what's making it get stuck and not resolve to the topic.
One other thought. I know it works for most of your outputs, but I wonder if the dot in your path could be causing confusion? It would be something to rule out, although publishing to a new location couldn't rule out the caching issue (as there wouldn't be cached content to trigger the error - does that make sense? - post long weekend, so brain is not translating to text output efficiently : p)
Thanks. For Chinese Simplified at least, I've fixed that one. The problem was that the parent help was expecting a child help that we aren't distributing in that language. Once I removed the merged reference to the child help from our parent project, and regenerated the parent help, the mapping worked.
I'm currently working on Traditional Chinese and Czech. I'm trouble-shooting these issues by addding the localized child helps one at a time on top of a known good English copy of all the helps. After each addition, I test the mapping link to see if there's something in that child help that broke the mapping.
I'll post any other findings here.
One person I know created a number of layouts in the parent, each with different settings. You could do that to point to different TOCs etc.
See www.grainge.org for free RoboHelp and Authoring information.