Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers

Crashing on search

New Here ,
Oct 15, 2021 Oct 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm converting a Robohelp Classic project to modern Robohelp, and most every time I try to search (the generated WebHelp output), it crashes.

Also, when the search does work, it's very slow. the project has about 930 topics, but the Classic version is very fast.

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I said it generated WebHelp output. I meant to say it generates Responsive HTML5 output. I've finally changed the name of the preset so I quit giving you folks the wrong output.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry. It's been a long day. Apparently, I've been using the Frameless output preset.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 16, 2021 Oct 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By modern RoboHelp do you mean 2019 New UI or 2020?

Do you have all updates applied? 14 or 2019 and 6 for 2020.

Is the project local and are you generating to a local drive?

Help others by clicking Correct Answer or Like if helpful. Found your answer elsewhere? Share it here.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 21, 2021 Oct 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running Robohelp 2019.0.14. It says all updates have been applied. The project is local, but the output is on a network drive.

Thanks for the help!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 21, 2021 Oct 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you generating to the network location? Or publishing, or manually copying the output to the network drive after generating?

If you are generating to the network drive, try generating the help to your c drive (e.g. c:\my_project_output and see if the search works there. You could be encountering a problem caused by network glitches, and this will help identify if that's the case. (Personally, I recommend generating locally and using the publish feature to copy the output to whereever it needs to live on the network as the publish feature is better able to handle network issues.)

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 05, 2021 Nov 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm seeing the same behavior. A converted project from RH Classic to RH2020. When I use a frameless output, the Search locks up the page a takes forever, if at all, to return results. This is on a local machine. Although my clients will be running this from Cloud servers, so network situations need to be OK as well.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@tesposit.oracle what version of RH2019 did you perform the conversion using? Are any other forms of output of the New UI project exhibit this issue? Did you create a new output preset in the New UI project or just use a converted one?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Jeff_Coatsworth,

1. I used the RH2020 feature to take a RH2019 Classic project and create a new, converted project. Then I tried to make new output using the Frameless output since Webhelp is no longer an output option. The recent one I tried was Studio.
When I try and search on my local machine, where the build is done, it takes at least 30 seconds to return any sort of search reasult. However, on my VM it took forever. And when I check in the help and it is placed on our servers where we mimic a client environment, it takes minutes, if at all, to return results.

2. I'm not sure what you're asking. Search is the problem. The rest of the UI seems OK.

3. I created a new output in RH2020. My old outputs weren't converted, IIRC.

Thanks.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, so what version of RH2020 did you use for the conversion? If you're not up to patch 6, you should be able to redo the conversion (since the process preserves the original RH2019 Classic project) to see if that has an effect. Another thing to try is using the sample project in RH2020 to see if the same search effect is in play. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had downloaded RH2020 as a trial and updated it as far as it would go, in September.

Now we have an Enterprise license and my install is 2020.4.173. Is that the latest? If it isn't, how do I get the latest if my IT group disabled the Check for Updates feature?

Regardless, the version I'm testing on was made with the latest download in September.

I can try redoing the conversion this afternoon.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope, you're 2 patches behind - try again with 2020.6 applied. Did the sample project behave?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't get that patch from within the app due to IT limitations. How else can I get it, other than Check for Updates in the menu?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could try here - https://helpx.adobe.com/robohelp/kb/robohelp-downloads.html but if IT has you locked down, you probably won't be able to update yourself.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I was able to download from there and install it over the existing version, bringing me up to patch 6. Whether that was a legal move or not remains to be seen...

After importing the project again and generating it, the Search speed dramatically increased on my laptop. I copied the output to my VM and it works too, although there is about a 15 second delay upon submitting the query. It was also giving me an interesting popup in the lower corner of the screen, which I've attached to this post as a PNG.

I'll test putting it on the server, but I won't see the results until next week.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your help so far, @Jeff_Coatsworth 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks on the web font explanation.

Hmm, my new issue is that when I push the output into Git, I get this error:
remote: error: Binary file en/whxdata/search_db.js.gz size 6MB > 1MB at commit ... 
remote: error: Your commit has been blocked due to certain binary file(s) being oversized or not allowed.

Maybe that was the issue earlier for how it wasn't working when deployed on the server, although I don't remember seeing that. I'm not sure why there is a compressed version of that file if the uncompressed is in the folder as well.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would have thought you would have used Git for source control of the project, not the output. I think for that one, you need to chat with the RH folks - see https://helpx.adobe.com/contact/enterprise-support.other.html#robohelp for your Adobe Support options. I'd recommend using the tcssup@adobe.com e-mail address as it reaches a team dedicated to Technical Communication Suite products including RoboHelp.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Our intention is to use Git for RH source control, and that performed very well in my test last month.

However our software code base has moved to Git as well, so any output I generate is add/commit/pushed into a Git repo as well.

I'll check with the contact you suggested next week. Thank you!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp