Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cross-project link in snippet works inconsistently

Explorer ,
Dec 16, 2020 Dec 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, dear RoboHelp community,

we've run into a rather unusual issue that we can't get to the bottom of.

First off: My colleague and I collaboratively work on a number of RoboHelp projects that we are checking into source control in SVN and each of us updates and commits changes to the projects regularly. We work in Robohelp 2019 Classic.

Now to the issue:

We use a merged project that combines 3 child projects into one merged parent projects. Inside child-project 3 ("work"), we are using a snippet (the snippet is used in 2 topics). Inside the snippet, we added a relative link to a topic in child-project 1 ("cloudAccount").

When generating project 3 on my machine, the link works perfectly fine in all topics of the output where the snippet is embedded. However, when my colleague generates the same project on her machine, the link only works in one of the topics where the snippet is embedded, and fails in the other one.

Here is the relative link inside project 3’s snippet – pointing to project 1’s topic in the source structure (relative to the snippet, which is on root level inside project 3’s folder):
rh_snippet_with_relative_link.png

The snippet is embedded in 2 topics inside project 3:
rh_topics_with_snippet.png

The target topic is located inside project 1:
rh_target_topic.png

Here's an overview of the setup and outcomes of our two machines:

• In topic 1, the link is shown (upon hovering) as “<INSERT LINK>” and it’s also opened as such and working perfectly fine:
    p1_browser_t1_link_working.PNG p1_browser_t1_target.PNG
  • In topic 2, the link is shown (upon hovering) as “<INSERT FAULTY LINK>” for person 1 (my colleague) and as “<INSERT CORRECT LINK>” for person 2 (me):
    Broken: p1_browser_t2_link_broken.PNG
    Working: p2_browser_t2_link_working.png
  • The structure of the merged project is alsmost the same for both my colleague and me:
    Colleague: p1_project_structure_windows.PNG
    Mine: p2_project_structure_windows.PNG

We have no idea why the link is working in both embedded topics for me but only in one embedded topic for my colleague – does anybody have any ideas?

Other cross-project links (not inside snippets, but inside topics) work fine with the relative paths. And since the relative link inside the snippet is also working fine for me, it should work equally fine for my colleague, right? Only it doesn’t 😞

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks, Birgit

TOPICS
Classic , Version control

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ups, I forgot to actually insert the URLs that are shown when hovering over the links in the output. Here goes:

• Topic 1 (for both my colleague and me): The link is shown as and correctly points to <server>/en/mergedProjects/cloudAccount/tocTopics/Manage_your_organization.htm
  • Topic 2 for me: The link is shown and correctly points to <server>/en/mergedProjects/cloudAccount/tocTopics/Manage_your_organization.htm
  • Topic 2 for my colleague: The link is shown and INCORRECTLY points to <server>/cloudAccount/tocTopics/Manage_your_organization.htm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This has to be a path issue or a source control checking in and out issue.

You say "The structure of the merged project is almost the same for both my colleague and me". The structure has to be the same for both of you for a merge.

I'm also wondering what files you check in and out. They should not include the CPD file and I wonder if that is causing problems. I am not a source control user but my site does have some information I was given. See Item 1 at Snippets (grainge.org)

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp