• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cross-Reference Broken in Merged WebHelp

Explorer ,
Feb 09, 2016 Feb 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am working on 3 FrameMaker books merged in 1 WebHelp. I have cross-referenced topics between books but the hyperlinks in the WebHelp don't have a destination. The cross-references work fine in FrameMaker and PDF but do not work in RoboHelp. Does anybody have a solution to this problem? I've looked through the discussions but did not find any answers. Also, my FM books are linked in RoboHelp.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 10, 2016 Feb 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If your xrefs work in FM, then they should work in RH. One thing I discovered in my FM to RH integration is that there’s an invisible limit to the length of the paths and file names that RH can digest when it sucks in FM content. As a test, try taking a copy of your FM content and place it on a very short path (like c:\projects\FM\) and then create a new RH project and link it. I suspect your xrefs will come through.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you are describing is not merged webhelp. That term refers to where

the outputs of different RoboHelp projects are generated separately but

appear as one to the end user. You state you generate one webhelp based on

three Fm books.

The problem here appears to be the same as one encountered with Word

documents. Cross document / book links do not work as the target is in

something not present at the time the document / book is imported / linked.

I am not a Fm user but I think the problem is the same.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could be – that might be what’s happening. The OP could get around that by employing the FM book of books concept – then all you do is import/link the container book file into RH. (but if the path lengths to the xrefs are too long – like over 35 characters – they end up malformed in the RH topics)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Jeff,

I did try the short path suggestion and it didn't really work, the links were broken. However, the FM book of books did solve my problem where I linked the container book file in RH and also kept the short path. The xrefs did get converted to links in WebHelp. Thank you for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp