I am working on 3 FrameMaker books merged in 1 WebHelp. I have cross-referenced topics between books but the hyperlinks in the WebHelp don't have a destination. The cross-references work fine in FrameMaker and PDF but do not work in RoboHelp. Does anybody have a solution to this problem? I've looked through the discussions but did not find any answers. Also, my FM books are linked in RoboHelp.
If your xrefs work in FM, then they should work in RH. One thing I discovered in my FM to RH integration is that there’s an invisible limit to the length of the paths and file names that RH can digest when it sucks in FM content. As a test, try taking a copy of your FM content and place it on a very short path (like c:\projects\FM\) and then create a new RH project and link it. I suspect your xrefs will come through.
What you are describing is not merged webhelp. That term refers to where
the outputs of different RoboHelp projects are generated separately but
appear as one to the end user. You state you generate one webhelp based on
three Fm books.
The problem here appears to be the same as one encountered with Word
documents. Cross document / book links do not work as the target is in
something not present at the time the document / book is imported / linked.
I am not a Fm user but I think the problem is the same.
Could be – that might be what’s happening. The OP could get around that by employing the FM book of books concept – then all you do is import/link the container book file into RH. (but if the path lengths to the xrefs are too long – like over 35 characters – they end up malformed in the RH topics)
I did try the short path suggestion and it didn't really work, the links were broken. However, the FM book of books did solve my problem where I linked the container book file in RH and also kept the short path. The xrefs did get converted to links in WebHelp. Thank you for your help!