Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.


Different devices not recognized In Multiscreen HTML5 output

New Here ,
Dec 06, 2017 Dec 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have set up my four screen profiles and layouts for iPad, iPhone, Android tablet and Android phone. Publishing gives me the correct sets of files but when I look at the Help on each device, only the default layout is displayed, iPad for iOS and phone for Android. I was under the impression that I didn't have to worry about this, the initial index.htm file would determine which layout to display. I've looked at previous discussions and applied the 10.0.1 update, which I did not have, to no avail. I've also read a few different discussions saying better to just use one layout which will display correctly across all devices. However, if we want the look to be different on each device, we need the different layouts, hence the question.

TIA,

Helen

TOPICS
HTML5 layout

Views

314

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Dec 07, 2017 Dec 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand why you want Multiscreen but I would suggest reconsidering as all RoboHelp development is going into Responsive so gradually your work will fall behind in what it can offer.

For now though, take a look at this page on my site and also follow the link to the RoboHelp Tour where there is a lot more information. Hopefully something there will help.


See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring information

@petergrainge

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 07, 2017 Dec 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Peter, but as my Help has been changing rather frequently and I am a cautious user, I've been waiting for some downtime to work through updating my project. In the meantime, I have read all your references and have done what they've said, my layouts and profiles are all correct, my published output is also correct but the sniffer file does not sniff correctly, it simply uses the default profile so that when I look at the index.htm file in the root directory of my published project the files referenced there are all in the folder of the default profile device.

TIA

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Dec 08, 2017 Dec 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are satisfied that your setup is correct, then I am wondering if the issue is that browser changes are behind the sniffer not working. As a check, I would set up a simple dummy project and test that.

Beyond that, it could be worth contacting Adobe Support, it's free. I would offer to test but I don't have any Apple devices.

Testing a responsive layout is as simple as creating the new layout.


See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring information

@petergrainge

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Dec 09, 2017 Dec 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thinking a bit more, I could test your project on Windows and Android at least.

See the Contact page on my site and send the project as instructed there. Do make sure you include a link to this thread and please do not email the project direct.


See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring information

@petergrainge

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 14, 2018 Feb 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Peter,

As we had had so many changes and I am time limited, we had just decided to go ahead with the two layouts that were being recognized, Android phone and iPad. The two work properly for both phone and tablet depending on which OS is being used so that's what we're going with. Please see my latest post for the only problem we're having now with iOS only, serif fonts being used where they are not defined and in place of defined sans-serif font families.

Thanks for this!

Helen

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Feb 14, 2018 Feb 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I would try out the Responsive layout route before spending much time on the Multiscreen output - there's not much attention being paid to fixing much of anything in that format from what I understand. But it sounds like you're still running RH10, so you'd have to experiment with a copy of RH11+ (on a non-production machine with a copy of your project) to see how that will work.

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation