Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

eBook output - tips for getting it to work

Community Expert ,
Aug 10, 2021 Aug 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

Is anyone producing eBook output? What do I need to do to get it to work?

In About Robohelp I created the preset and filled out the minimum stuff like output path. Generated with no errors. However looking at the log includes the line "Warning failed to copy". I don't know what this means as the mobi file is in the directory?

I downloaded freda (ebook reader) from the Windows Store but it doesn't seem to be able to open the ebook. It just sits there spinning the hard drive (I think it's about to achieve orbital velocity...).

All suggestions welcome.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 11, 2021 Aug 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried with a random project I had and given your experience with Freda, I downloaded Liberty. It worked fine.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't tried generating a mobi file yet, but generated epub files fail the epub validator. There's an open bug being addressed for Update 6. Maybe that's related (?).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I downloaded Liberty Book Reader from the MS Store but it can't open mobi files.

Peter, did you generate a kindle file instead?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm, actually, maybe there's the problem. The default extension in 2020.5.71 is .mobi. Let me try manually changing it to .epub and see what happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, changing the default extension allowed the file to open.

I created a bug: https://tracker.adobe.com/#/view/RH-9907

On a side note, once you change the extension, you can no longer edit the eBook File name. I didn't create a separate bug for it, but just noted it in the above.  We'll see what happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 12, 2021 Aug 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I clicked the dropdown to see the options. I'm not sure if I then closed it or selected EUB specifically. Either way it worked.

Seems a bit bizarre that the default is MOBI and that's not an option in the dropdown.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know! But I triple checked with a new preset and it definitely defaults to mobi 0_0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just spotted something in the project I was using. In an old EPUB preset the eBook File shows the epub extension. In a new EPUB preset I just created the extension is mobi. Mobi is not a format in Format dropdown.

Does it work if you change mobi to epub?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, see the post with the link to the bug item. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, just making the point in the bug report that if you have an old epub preset it will not show mobi.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There's a bug for that, too! If you choose epub format, the filename defaults to .mobi: RH-9288 | Tracker (adobe.com)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp