I am embedding youtube videos in Webhelp.
I used the Insert Multimedia option and selected Web URL.
I copied the youtube link and pasted it the Source area (example: https:www.youtube.com/watch....)
Some of the videos play correctly. Some do not.
Here is the error message from one video that would not play:
An error occurred. Please try again later. Playback ID: 4KjBF7ZWyMFEEaW11A)
I am using Chrome to view the published webhelp.
Thanks in advance,
How are you testing?
* From the RoboHelp preview
* From the generated WebHelp where it's still on your hard drive.
* From the published WebHelp where it's on a server.
Have you examined what differences exist between the videos that play without issue and those that have the issue? For example, do the videos that just seem to play load up and pause waiting for a click to proceed where those that fail are somehow trying to auto play?
First, I looked at the RoboHelp preview, and none of the videos displayed.
I went ahead and generated it, and none of the videos displayed.
I then published it to our server, and that is when some of the videos played.
The videos that played had a picture of the video, and the ones that did not play did not.
I had a developer look at the problem. In the HTML view, I had to change the first & to ? in the filename and src, and the videos now play.
I was curious if anyone else had this problem.
Thanks for the update.
Personally, I've not seen this issue. And I have a project that has hundreds of YouTube and other videos in it.
Are you able to give us examples of the before and after code so that we can see exactly what was changed? Also, have you filed a bug report to Adobe to alert them of the issue you had? I would strongly encourage you to report it.
Link is below:
Above is the link that I pasted into the Multimedia source box.
In the HTML, I removed the & and added the question mark (it is highlighted in pink in the screenshot.)
I haven't reported this to Adobe, but I will. Thanks for the link.
Ahhh okay. I think I see what is happening here.
When you link to a YouTube video, you have the option of linking to just the single video, or if the video you are linking to is actually part of a play list, you can create the link to the playlist. Your link that seems to fail is linking to a playlist.
Thanks for your insight.
If the video is part of a playlist, is there a way to link to just that video? In other words, is there something in the YouTube link that I can remove or edit?
I made a video for you that hopefully helps to explain it better. Let me know!
Perfect!!! Thanks so much for the video. I will use this method from now on.
I appreciate your help!
Thanks for the video Captiv8r! I am having a similar issue, but when I click on just that video (to select it from the playlist), then the share button, and copy the link that's there, I get the following error message:
I then tried removing the "s" from the "https" but still got the same message.
It looks like it's a protected video to start with - I tried typing it in manually in Chrome & got nothing showing up.
Yes, it is. We use these videos internally and prefer to keep them private so they wouldn't pop up in a search. However, they're accessible to our agency's employees via a link to the playlist or to an individual video.
Because they're unlisted, does that mean I can't embed them into my RoboHelp project?
Using a link instead of embedding doesn't work either; when I view the project using Chrome and click on the link, the RoboHelp topic goes blank (no content shows up).
Try with a publicly available You Tube video to see if the issue is with
Good idea! I tried and the public video didn't display either.
But I then I rewatched Rick's video above and then found that when I grabbed the URL from the address bar instead, instead of using the share button in YouTube, and then removed everything after the video ID (&list=PLF2PqsUUKpjiobtj9zn_H9zzfQ8TX5y8p&t=0s&index=2) it worked! (This video is part of a playlist, so I removed the added playlist info.)
I'm still not sure why the (edited version of the) URL in the address bar worked, whereas the (edited version of the share) URL did not, but I won't question it. The important thing is that it works! Thanks Peter Grainge, Captiv8r and Jeff for your help.
On an Android device the response is the video is not playable.