• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Error when trying to move topics within Project Manager RH15

Community Beginner ,
Jun 13, 2017 Jun 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a project where I need the topics to be at the root in the Project Manager.  Currently there are a few  folders that some topics reside under.  See image.

folder structure.jpg

When I try to move them to the root Project Files I get the error below:

error.jpg

Can someone help me to  know what I am doing wrong?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Stella

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't understand your screenshots. The first screenshot shows the "EDC Versions" topic selected under the Design folder, but the second error message shows the Entering_Data.htm file that is in the EDC folder. Did you get the error message when you tried to move the EDC Versions topic to the root folder?

Paul Hanson

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's possible that the topic title is actually different than the topic file name.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 14, 2017 Jun 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They are at times. It relates to the name developer gave the page so he can call it for context sensitive help. The topic titles are often changed to make more sense to the user and to match the actual system. So do they need to be the same in order to move them?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

No, they don't have to be the same at all. It's typically considered a "best practice" to keep them either the same or pretty close. But that's only for the sanity of you, the RoboHelp developer, so you can work more easily and sanely with the content.

From a technical standpoint, there is no reason that the differing Title/Filename would be a cause. Not that I've ever seen. Something else is afoot.

Have you tried making a copy of the project and ensuring it is in a folder such as C:\Projects\YourProjectNameHere? (of course, substituting your own project name for YourProjectNameHere.) If things begin working after you do that, it likely has something to do with the project location. If it still fails after trying that, likely it has something to do with folder names or the file names.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the clarification about your file name & topic title being different.

Yes, I have filenames & topic titles that are different - I just didn't know if that was how you were doing things in your project.

No - you don't need to have the filename & the title be the same in order to move the topics within Project Manager.

Now that I know that, I wonder if changing your view to display topics by By File Name would be helpful to you, especially since the file name & topic title can be different in your project. On the Project tab, go to Display Topics > By File Name, as shown below:

Doing so may give you the insight into your project setup that makes it obvious why RoboHelp is throwing you the error message.

Personally, I've never seen that specific error message - it's confusing to me why RoboHelp wants to rename a file. I've seen where RoboHelp will tell me that a file with the same name exists in the destination folder - the 'renaming' aspect of the error message is new to me.

I am curious: why do all the topics need to be at the root level, especially if you already have the topics grouped into folders? What problem are you trying to solve by having a flat topic structure?

I ask because, personally, I really like that I can create folders in the Project Manager. It makes creating the TOC so much faster! I can simply drag a folder to the TOC pane to automagically (hee hee!) create the structure I want. I can 'refresh' the TOC anytime I want by deleting the top-level book and then re-dragging the folder over. This screenshot shows my main project. To create the TOC, I dragged the "Disaster_Recovery_Documentation" folder to the TOC. You may have a perfectly valid reason to have a flat structure - I just didn't know if you knew how easy it is to create your TOC from your folder structure.

Paul Hanson

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Paul,

Thanks for the detailed response. I personally like to work the way you describe below but this is a merged project that is using RoboSource and my coworker who writes for Child 1, does everything at the Root. The developer in order to map context sensitive help has challenges when my project, Child 2 has an additional folder making the structure different than Child 1.

I know its confusing and I just didn’t want to bog down the post with ancillary information, but I appreciate your encouragement.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ummm - "merged project using RoboSource" - yeah, that's kind of relevant! Whenever you've got Source Control mixed up in something, it adds a whole 'nother layer of complications on. Just sayin'

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

True. This we know. But I had moved the topics to the root about a month ago and then I saw this week that it reverted back to the old structure. It’s challenging to explain the entire scenario. I didn’t mean to leave out pertinent information.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm, I'm wondering if it isn't time to ensure things are checked in, then just delete all the files from your project on your hard drive. Then perform a "Get latest version" to ensure things are up to spec. Then try moving.

As you are saying you moved files earlier and now cannot move them, it stands to logic and reason that they do, in fact, exist in the root now. But for some reason RoboHelp is having issues moving.

As for why the project "reverted", it's anyone's guess at this point.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Did as you suggested and was successful. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it happens with any of them. Just an example. Sorry it was not consistent. Same message if I try to move EDC Versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, in looking more closely at the dialog, I see a backslash in the file name. Can you confirm this? Perhaps the solution is as simple as choosing to rename the file and just omit the backslash.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp