Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Exclude Topics from Search

New Here ,
Jul 14, 2009 Jul 14, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am looking for a way to exclude published topics, pop-ups, etc., from Search after publishing in WebHelp.  We are using RH7 HTML.  I searched the forum but I couldn't find a thread on this.  I would appreciate any information anyone could provide about my question.  Thanks,

TW

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 25, 2011 Aug 25, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Debbie (or others that might still be listening),

Having been in this thread in 2009, all the comments have peaked my curiosity.

I am hoping to save myself a great deal of testing time by asking for clarification.

I understand the CBT basics. I understand that when Debbie applied the CBT to the topic, the topic did not show in the search results.

Is the topic still accessible in the .chm output as noted next?

My goal is to create a topic. Use the topic as a destination for a cross-reference (hyperlink) making the topic readable. But I want to exclude the topic from the search results. This would mean that the topic could only be accessed by using the hyperlink.

Will Debbie’s approach work, i.e., using a CBT?

It seems all this would be solved if Adobe would just listen and make the Exclude from Search option work for .chm files.

Thanks in advance for saving me testing time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No Debbie's approach will not help you as Rick has identified she has a project specific issue. Ignoring that, this is how it works.

If you apply the Exclude from Search setting, the topic remains in the build so it is accessible via a hyperlink, the TOC or anything else except a search. Because of the problem, which is also present in RoboHelp 9, the search does find it. Whether or not that is a bug or a limitation of the Microsoft Compiler has already been covered in this thread.

CBTs exclude topics from the build so nothing on earth will find them. The fact that is not the case for Debbie is seemingly a one off, as Rick has reported.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Just a note to also say that I erred in not picking up immediately that Debbie is using RoboHelp 7. She replied to an old thread where the Exclude from Search option was being dicussed. I overlooked that her version didn't sport the Exclude from Search and mistakenly concluded that she was confusing this option with a Conditional Build Tag.

Please, for anyone reading this, consider submitting a Wish Form to ask Adobe to consider building the feature into the next version. As I've said in other threads, it *CAN* be done. I've done it. I know it can work. We just need to convince Adobe that folks are still building CHM format so it is worth the time adding it in.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Cal

The workaround to make this work for a CHM file is described at the link below:

Click here to view

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Rick,

LOL.

Thanks for sending the link to the work around.

I have used (do use) the work around. I am the same Cal that you helped by providing the work around in 2009.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 24, 2011 Aug 24, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick

Thanks for the reply. Let me do a more testing and try what Peter said and not use the CBT on the TOC but on the topics only. At the moment, I have them set on both.

Regards

Debbie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 24, 2011 Aug 24, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That thread is this thread to save anyone else clicking it.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp