• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Failed to Generate Word output (RH 2020)

Contributor ,
Jan 11, 2022 Jan 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Everyone.

In RH 2020.6.76, when I try to generate Word output, I get the simple error message:  "Failed to generate [name of TOC]"

I've read a bunch of forum threads, leading me to these troubleshooting efforts:

• Sample project -- output successful
  • Tried removing my CSS -- output fails
  • Tried setting all style mappings to "Use Word default" -- output fails
  • Tried setting Master Page to "none" -- output fails
  • Tried outputting a different TOC to Word -- output fails
  • Tried outputting an older version of this project -- output successful

NOTE:  There's one major difference between my current project and the older version:  when creating my current project, Adobe Tech Support had me create a new project and import all my topics from the older version. (We were troubleshooting an issue with the Online Review feature.)

Here's what I see when right-clicking the output preset:

martinl83372021_0-1641926351525.png

Any advice for me?

Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Contributor , Jan 13, 2022 Jan 13, 2022

Okay, trying again. (And I apologize that I've confused matters by introducing screenshots of my REAL PROJECT.

Going back to the TEST PROJECT that I've sent you, I've undone the deletion. 

Your initial message about the code said to "delete the empty table in lines 59 to 66." That's what's selected in this screenshot: 

martinl83372021_0-1642101993785.png

But if I understand what you're saying now, I should instead delete what's in the red box?  

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Create a new preset, not a duplicate. 

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter.

Just tried creating a new output preset, not a duplicate. The output still fails to generate.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Create a new TOC and add the topics in batches. 

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah! Smart. 

I've created a test TOC, which successfully outputs to Word with the first two topics. But when I add the 3rd topic, it fails to generate:

martinl83372021_0-1641930890421.png

But the trouble now is I can't identify what's different about Topic 3. The topic properties look identical, comparing Topic 2 and Topic 3. Visually, the two topics are laid out identically. 

I'm stumped.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter, I've found a workaround. I am able to generate PDF output. And in Acrobat Pro, exporting to MS Word works well enough for my needs.

Unless you have a solution at this point, I think I'll just cash this in and use my workaround.

Thank you for all the troubleshooting!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it works OK but it's a kludge. There has to be a difference. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try importing the rogue topic into a new project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know you're probably right, there must be a difference.

I'll keep looking and let you know if I find something. But I'm needing to get some tangible progress going.

Thanks for all your help, Peter!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excellent idea. 

Will try it out first thing tomorrow am.

Thanks, Peter!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 12, 2022 Jan 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter.

I've tried the latest troubleshooting task. I'm not 100% sure I've done it correctly:

1. Created a test project
  2. Imported the offending topic into it
  3. Created a TOC and placed the offending topic into it
  4. Tried generating output via the default output preset called "Word Document" 
  5. Error:  "Failed to generate Word document"

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you import your CSS or change to the default? The latter is worth a try.

Beyond that and with everything else you have reported, it does confirm an issue with you topic. After getting the warning, I think you can right click the preset and view the log. Does that give any clues?

Any code with MSO in it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A couple of other things to try using your test project.

• Move your test project to a short path like c:\doc_source
  • Generate to a very short path like c:\doc_output 
  • Check the topic name, project name and path only contain letters, numbers, dash and underscore characters (and the single dot before the file extension where applicable)

I don't think they're likely to be causing the problem in this case, but doesn't hurt to double check.

Otherwise I think Peter's suggestion of checking the topic source code for mso or other funny things is the next step.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 13, 2022 Jan 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Amber and Peter.

Thanks for the troubleshooting ideas. I've done the following:

• Shorter paths for both the project files and the output. Still failed.
  • Imported my CSS into test project and switch to it. Still failed.
  • Switched to default CSS. Still failed.
  • Right-clicked the preset to view the log. (See screenshot below.) But I don't know how to read the log.  
    • Also see screenshot of log from my proper project. (See 1st post, above.)

Thank you!

martinl83372021_0-1642082806333.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Send me your test project. See the Contact page on my site and send the project as instructed there. Do make sure you include a link to this thread and please do not email the project direct.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One more thought. You are generating to the same local drive as your project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PS:  How do I look for MSO in the code?

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Flip to code view (or HTML) of the topics

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I am, Peter. I'm generating to my C-drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PPS:  I will send the project now. 

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter, thanks for offering to look at my test project. But I've tried several ways, without success: 

• I'm unable to use wetransfer.com. My org's security blocks me from going to that site.
  • Nor will it allow me to use the contact link on your site:

martinl83372021_0-1642086633113.png

• As a work-around, I've tried emailing my test project to my personal email so I could use wetransfer.com on my personal laptop. But emailing the zipped folder gets blocked, too.

I don't see a way I can get the test project to you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Edit the Zip file extension to something like .z or .txt to see if you can slip it around your e-mail limitations.
Look for any "MSO" text in your topics' code view - that indicates that the content came in from a source like MS Word (which has a lot of cruft in it).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff.

Thanks, and sorry that wasn't clear. I actually meant, What do I look for in code view?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Jeff.

Tried to rename the file with .txt and .z but both email attempts were rendered undeliverable.

Thanks also for the tip on searching for "MSO" in code view. Didn't find any.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use wetransfer from your personal computer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp