Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

FM converting to RH results in deleting part of variable in rh project

New Here ,
Jul 13, 2017 Jul 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

While converting FM to RH project the variables are incorrectly processed. And doesn't show corretly in WebHelp output.

The problem is that I have signs in variables definition like this "** \<some text> more text" that variable displays correctly in FrameMaker, but after creating a project in RH it displays as "** \ more text" in user defined variables in RH.

Is there a way to make it work correctly without much effort?
Or I need sth to export the variables from framemaker correctly and convert them into a rhvariable.apj file and replace it in RH folder structure?
if so is there a easy way to do it or workaround?

Please help,

I got a giant book in FM with variables named as mention and I don't know how to handle it atm.

RH 2015 and FM 2015

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 13, 2017 Jul 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, are you all patched up on both products? Second, are you importing your FM content or linking to it? - that may have a bearing on what's happening.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 20, 2017 Jul 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes patched up on both products.
No matter if I'm linking to it or I'm Importing to it there is same issue.

Still I didn't find out how to handle variables that have "\<anything>" in the definition as it only shows as "\"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

According to the help, FM variables should be converted over to RH. Can you give us a screenshot of the variable in FM and the result in RH?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FM variables are converted over to RH, but the conversion is incorrect when u use "<>" signs in definition of variable in frame maker.

So I'm struggling with the conversion of the variable definition (or value for RH).
I know that after I change "<>" signs for html entities in rhvariables.apj they are correct but I don't want to mess around with it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is that a Character Format inside the "<>" signs? If you change it for one of the other Character Formats, does it come across ok?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Inside "<>" signs there is just plain text to display it's not a character format

in RH that variable value should look like this after conversion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's it look like in the HTML of the topic in RH? I think the conversion process is interpreting what's inside the variable as code - what happens if you change it use curly or square brackets? Does it convert cleanly then?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The point is that i need exactly "<>"  more and less signs as brackets there, but imho what you suggest will result in clean conversion. I think RH converting them because recognize them as active variables "<$pagecount>" like this one. But I don't know it for sure. Is there a way to exclude all "<>" signs from conversion by typing a regex or adding any custom settings? to exclude anything that is not started from "<$" in variable definition?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm not aware of any controls in the conversion process that concern variables; I suspect you're going to have to either sub in a new bracket & then do a find & replace in the RH project or maybe run the FM content through a FM template first (like Matt R. Sullivan advocates) to do the switch-out of brackets & then do a F&R on the RH project.

Oh - another idea - what happens if you change the FM definition to use 2 angle brackets instead of 1? Does one survive the conversion?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp