Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Fonts not working in PDF

Community Beginner ,
Jul 20, 2020 Jul 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

After switching to RH 2020, and moving to another machine, fonts are not being reflected in the PDF output - despite the correct stylesheet being used. It does reflect the colours, and the settings clearly reflect those fonts in use.

Does anyone have idea what this could be?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have the fonts defined also available on the new machine?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I do. Those fonts are reflected in the settings, too. I can see them. But the output, such as PDF and Word, don't reflect those settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Based on your first post in the thread I would have suggested trying selecting Embed Used Fonts but you have added the problem is also in Word.

Have you applied a master page with a different CSS applied to it?

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After some testing, it appears to be an issue for fonts that I've installed specifically for this: Monserrat and Ubuntu. When I switch to other fonts, it seems fine. Those fonts are visible and selectable, however. But not in generated output.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the PDF it should work if you check Embed Unused Fonts.

In Word, you can only use standard Windows fonts. See http://www.grainge.org/pages/authoring/rh_tour/rh2020/outputs/outputs_word.htm on my site.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had this switched on all along. After returning to the project on my original machine - with RH 2020 - on the exact same project, that generates correctly. The same fonts are installed on both machines. I also tried it on a third machine, where it failed to recognise some fonts in the PDF export.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So three files from three machines, albeit the same content?

What if you open the same PDF on all three machines? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried opening the same file on multiple machines. When I move it to another machine, it's fairly successful. Some of the fonts are randomly bolded where they weren't before, for example. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After editing the project on a machine where it DIDN'T work, and returning to my original machine where it did work, it now no longer works on the original machine. This time, one of the fonts works - but the rest don't.

I'm at an absolute loss. This all worked fine in RH 2019, regardless of machine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you share the project? If you can, then see the Contact page on my site and send the project as instructed there. Do make sure you include a link to this thread and please do not email the project direct.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the project you sent me the check box I referred to was not checked as I had suggested trying.

image.png

Initially I got the wrong font but then I realised I don't have the font you are using. I substituted another font and it work OK.

Check that setting again please on all machines.

In Word that font will not work. See Fonts in http://www.grainge.org/pages/authoring/rh_tour/rh2020/outputs/outputs_word.htm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter. No, it wasn't set in that particular project. I've tried that about a dozen times now, with no luck. Both in that project and two others. The font is picked up in the HTML5 preset - but not in PDF. Word isn't really required for my purposes.

Curiously, ticking the 'Embed' option simply made the existing fonts bold, for some reason. I'm on with tech support now - will let you know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 29, 2020 Jul 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did Tech Support resolve this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

They said they would look into it, but have yet to come back to me with a solution. I've since reverted back to RH2019 New for now!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know if this affects RH2019 New UI or 2020, but sometimes the Windows screen resolution setting can screw up the font display in PDFs.

In Windows 10, check if the Change the size of text, apps and other items is set to 100%. If not, change it to 100% and see if the font comes through correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 30, 2020 Jul 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for this tip. Unforunately, this was already set!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 31, 2020 Jul 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just to be sure, the issue is in 2020 and you are using 2019 because the issue doesn't arise there, correct?

If so, let's start over. Send me a fresh sample project or your full project. See the Contact page on my site.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp