Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

fpj error

Explorer ,
Jul 08, 2016 Jul 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am trying to save my RoboHelp project, and I get the following error message: "An error occurred while trying to read data from <C:/....fpj> (it put the location of my .fpj file). I took a look at the fpj file, but I can't tell what the problem is. Has anyone run across this before? How can I fix it?

Thanks in advance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

?This just start happening? Any changes to your local rights?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It started happening today after I imported an HTML topic. I don't think there have been changes to my local rights. Does that mean the user permissions? We only have one RoboHelp license, so I'm the only one who uses it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try removing the imported topic & try to save the project - it that works, then you know there's something in the imported topic that's causing grief..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 12, 2016 Jul 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I deleted the imported topic, but I'm still having the same problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried deleting the project's CPD file? Can you open and make changes to any of the sample RH projects?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you need assistance with deleting the CPD, I have a video to walk you through it.

Click here to view

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to open and edit a sample project without a problem. I'm still having problems with my original project though. Is there any way for me to get it back to the way it was before I deleted the cpd file? It was better then.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Things are getting worse and worse. All my topics are unmapped, and I can't open any of them to edit. I'll probably need to find an older saved version and go back to that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The CPD file gets created each time you open the project if it's missing. Sounds like your project has gotten corrupted. You could try the technique that Peter Grainge describes on his site (grainge.org) about using the hhp? file to open.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm, things are often nowhere near as dire as they may appear.

Can you take the following steps?

Open the project and click File > Rename Project. Don't follow through with renaming, just capture the dialog that is presented, then cancel it. Post the captured image here.

Take one of the topics that is showing as broken. Right-click it and look at Properties. Screen capture that, cancel and also post that.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In addition, if everything seems broken and Rick's suggestions don't seem to help, you can also use my free missing topics fixer script to correct it: https://www.helpessentials.com/downloads/missing-topics-fixer/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I re-imported all the topics, and things seem to be working now. Thanks for everyone's help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I deleted the cpd file, and that seems to have made things worse. Now all my links are broken. I don't see any sample projects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And here's a link to walk you through opening one of the samples:

Click here to view

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 18, 2017 Sep 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem I had last year. It says there is an error with the root.fpj file when I try to save. I tried exporting to a chm file (which is the final format I need), and the TOC appears, but I can't view any of the topics. Does anyone know what is wrong and how to fix it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 19, 2017 Sep 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I don't know the cause but have you tried Willam's script to fix the problem? (See Post 13 in the thread)

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring information

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp