Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Full-text search doesn't work in .chm help

New Here ,
Feb 04, 2009 Feb 04, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I updated the help project from RoboHelp X5 to RoboHelp 7 and discovered that full-text search (using Search tab in generated HTML help) doesn't work. Every time the message "No topics found" appears, although the word specified in Search field undoubtedly presents in several topics...
In my help project I can't find any options for configuring search capabilities. There is only Search Tab check under the Window Properties and it's turned on in my project.

Please, help me.
Thanks in advance!

P.S.: I'm disappointed in RoboHelp 7 own help. I can't find anything there... It's so inconvenient... 😞

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Enthusiast , Feb 04, 2009 Feb 04, 2009
Hi, limacon,

This typically happens when one of the DLLs that the help compiler uses is missing or unregistered. Here are some instructions on how to re-register this DLL from the command line:

http://frogleg.mvps.org/helptechnologies/htmlhelp/hhtips.html#hhc6003

I'd also recommend that you download and run MJ's Help Diagnostics, and choose the option to "Refresh Registration of all HH 1.x DLLs".

http://helpware.net/downloads/index.htm#MJs

Pete

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, limacon,
Did you install patches for RH7?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

quote:

Originally posted by: Solyarka
Hi, limacon,
Did you install patches for RH7?

Yes, 7.01 and 7.02 patches are installed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, limacon,

This typically happens when one of the DLLs that the help compiler uses is missing or unregistered. Here are some instructions on how to re-register this DLL from the command line:

http://frogleg.mvps.org/helptechnologies/htmlhelp/hhtips.html#hhc6003

I'd also recommend that you download and run MJ's Help Diagnostics, and choose the option to "Refresh Registration of all HH 1.x DLLs".

http://helpware.net/downloads/index.htm#MJs

Pete

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi limacon

In addition to Pete's excellent advice you should be aware that after you correct things by registering the DLL(s), you will need to re-compile any CHM exhibiting this behavior.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi limacon,
I had the exact same problem after upgrading from RHX5 to RH7, and re-registering DLLs did fix it. Re: RoboHelp's Help...they say it's been rewritten for RH8 (and think it is in their new AIR Help format?), though have not had time yet to check that out for myself!

Katie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again

I do believe Katie is correct in that Adobe have put forth lots of effort on improving the help experience in version 8. But if you aren't upgrading to 8 soon, you may wish to improve your help experience in 7.

To do this, click Tools > Options > General tab. Enable the offline help.

When you enable the offline help, you see a different help system than is presented in the on-line version.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 05, 2009 Feb 05, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Katie, Pete,
Thanks a lot!

I fixed it!
MJ's Help Diagnostics didn't detect any dll's unregistered, but under its "Register Help DLLs" advanced page I saw the list of files requiring registration: hhctrl.ocx, itss.dll, and itircl.dll.... I registered these files from MJ's Help Diagnostics, then re-generated chm file, and tested search. It works!!! Hooray

Rick, thanks for the useful tip, now I can use the online help in RoboHelp 7

Olga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp