I updated the help project from RoboHelp X5 to RoboHelp 7 and
discovered that full-text search (using Search tab in generated
HTML help) doesn't work. Every time the message "No topics found"
appears, although the word specified in Search field undoubtedly
presents in several topics...
In my help project I can't find any options for configuring
search capabilities. There is only Search Tab check under the
Window Properties and it's turned on in my project.
Please, help me.
Thanks in advance!
P.S.: I'm disappointed in RoboHelp 7 own help. I can't find
anything there... It's so inconvenient... 😞
I had the exact same problem after upgrading from RHX5 to
RH7, and re-registering DLLs did fix it. Re: RoboHelp's Help...they
say it's been rewritten for RH8 (and think it is in their new AIR
Help format?), though have not had time yet to check that out for
I do believe Katie is correct in that Adobe have put forth
lots of effort on improving the help experience in version 8. But
if you aren't upgrading to 8 soon, you may wish to improve your
help experience in 7.
To do this, click Tools > Options > General tab. Enable
the offline help.
When you enable the offline help, you see a different help
system than is presented in the on-line version.
I fixed it!
MJ's Help Diagnostics didn't detect any dll's unregistered,
but under its "Register Help DLLs" advanced page I saw the list of
files requiring registration: hhctrl.ocx, itss.dll, and
itircl.dll.... I registered these files from MJ's Help Diagnostics,
then re-generated chm file, and tested search. It works!!! Hooray
Rick, thanks for the useful tip, now I can use the online
help in RoboHelp 7