Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Generating TOC in RoboHelp using the Heading styles

Community Beginner ,
May 19, 2020 May 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

One of my artefacts involves importing a Word document to RoboHelp and generating a Microsoft HTML output. The Word document is a fairly big one with 1000 plus pages.

I was wondering if there is an option to auto generate a TOC in RoboHelp 2019 that would take Heading 1, 2 and 3 into consideration.

Currently i am adding Bookmarks to each level Heading(1,2,3) and dragging it to the TOC which is very time consuming and frustrating.

Thank you.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 19, 2020 May 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version of Robohelp? If RH2019, is it Classic or New UI. Please include this information every time you post, as many answers differ depending on the version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 20, 2020 May 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apologies. It is RH 2019 Classic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No worries, it's easy to forget. 🙂

It's been a long time since I generated a toc from a Word import, but I feel like it was possible. I'll see if I can find a Word document to poke around the settings.

One other question, is this a once off import, or something that that you have to repeat on a semi-regular basis?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It definitely will be a repeating affair. Appreciate any kind of help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's getting late where Amber is so let's see if this helps.

Right click in the TOC pod and select Auto Create. Note the text in the dialog and as you will see it is limited to topics. TOC entries to heading levels has always required creating bookmarks and doing what you are doing.

image.png

I'm not aware of anyone having posted that requirement, much less a solution. Sorry it's not the answer you want.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amber and I have been chatting behind the scenes and she has found the OLH for an old version of RoboHelp suggests it might work for an import.

It seems to be at odds with the dialog I posted so I would create a new project and try it there. In the Word document make sure the TOC there is set to go down to the heading level you want.

Worth a try. Please let us know whether or not it works.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Peter. I did try spilitting each Heading level into topics, worked well but it would take forever especially if i had to target Heading Level 3 too. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And it worked. Generated the TOC in Word with the Heading Level that was needed and while importing the document in RH2019, in the Content Setting window, checked the option Convert Table of Contents, Add to existing TOC. It was as simple as that, no idea why i missed it previously. Thank you Amebr/Peter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's Amber who found it. Nice one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Do note, that when you import again using those same settings, the table of contents will be added again, so you'll need to clean up the toc.

However, given you'll be re-importing the document down the track, you should have a look at linking the word document instead.  This means when the word document is updated, you just select Update in Robohelp and the related topics and toc are refreshed from the Word document. Have a look at the help for more information about linking word documents.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp